Anyone mind sharing some camera settings .. (lag, image quality, etc)

NGL

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello and thanks,

Anyone care to share or link what an optimal set up might look like.

I have my system (5231 Starlight and a 6mp turret) up and running but have noticed a lag of 10-15 seconds on both cameras.

Everything is POE to a dedicated IbmX1 Carbon laptop. the longest run is 30 feet.

I dont think I know enough about the little things to fix the lag but keep the image quality. Both cameras are set up for the most part the same..

I have attached my the setting on the cameras from the IP address and was hoping that might help with what else I need to do from the camera or BI side..

I am assuming from the camera side you only need to focus on the video tab..below is for my 2mp starlight... the 6 mp similar in setting but obviously the resolution is higher....

Any one see any glaring changes? ( i still dont know why I have a substream .. do I need it?)

Last edited:

NGL

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
thanks for that info ...

These are the things that are tough to decipher.. the actual dahua help sheet says iframe should be approx 2x frame rate ...

I am hoping if I get the Dahua IP settings right, I can then focus on BI to fine tune...

NGL

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
New settings:

Changed CBR to VBR and adjusted Iframe.. also got rid of watermarks..
Lag time is still there and the 6mp camera is about 15 seconds behind the 2 mp...

On a side note... I do not need crystal clear remote viewing but do want to record the best image quality I can get for review at later time if needed...as mentioned above .. all of this is recorded to a dedicated laptop w/ 14 day retention..

2 MP

6 MP

NGL

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
cpu is at a high 70%

Regarding recording... I have Blue Iris DVR option w/ the FLAC audio option checked..

It is not set to direct to disk .. it is set to "reencode with the h264 option selected...

Just tested lag times .. the 2mp is approx 15 seconds.. the 6 mp is double that ..

Thank you again for the pointers.

NGL

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
now that you brought up direct to disk I found this nugget.. High CPU Useage on 22 Camera build system

I am also lowering frame rate and iframe to 15

What are the negatives of D2D vs other options?

I am just looking to have:

1. Close to live remote viewing capabilities
2. High quality recordings to the PC

With that in mind, I have set both to D2D recording but can not find where I would change the "pretrigger frames to about 2-3 times your FPS" as mentioned in the link..

Edit:

Just tested it all .. both cameras a virtually synched with regards to movement and lag time is less than a second on both as well. CPU dropped to the high 20's..

Looks like that solved the problem.

Would still like your input on what the negatives are w/ direct to disc

Again, I want to thank you for your time.

Last edited:

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
The only thing lost with D2D, that I'm aware of, is the graphics BI uses to show motion. The advantage is that you're not using the CPU to re-encode the video streams, a big overhead.