Anyone paint HDW5231R-Z? Issues?

dstopp

n3wb
Reaction score
Just curious, has anyone painted the HDW5231R-Z and had any issues?

I want to paint them tan to match the house eaves and shutters but I'm a little bit uneasy as I know it will dramatically effect the emissivity therefore making them run hotter than typical. I just measured one not painted with an IR temperature gun and the camera housing measured 82 degrees while the external housing it rotates within measured 76 degrees (which is the temperature outside), note wind speed is about 10 mph now. So the camera runs 6 degrees above ambient in these conditions. I imagine it will run quite a bit hotter if painted which I would guess decreases the life of the electronics, but maybe that would be negligible.

Any advice? Has anyone measured the temperature of a painted one?

Last edited:

TVT73

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It´s also depending on the mounting position. Less sun will be better in such cases. Try using light colors is also a good idea. Have you knowledge in painting? Long lasting painting on aluminium housing or plastic is difficult. Plus the temperature differences. It´s much work to get it painted well.
Are you sure you want to have it nearly invisible? The visible presence of a cam for a burglar protects more than a unvisible one.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Several have been painted by members here. As long as you keep it out of direct sun, use light colors, it should be ok.

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
Well I set up a little mini dome from hikvision painted black in the garden sits vertical looking straight out the driveway it's survived 2 summers in the Australian outback and we get to 45-48c here this I didn't think it would last this long and its still going strong will let you know when It dies

Attachments

j4co

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I plasti dipped 2 hikvisions in dark grey and they are in full morning sun until 13:00.
Still work after one year without issues. But we are not in very hot climate.

Big advantage is that you can peel off the plasti dip if you want or need to..

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
Well you can tell us what the freezing temperatures do to the cameras