Anyone solve palm tree shadows?

Starman66

n3wb
Reaction score
I have two palm trees on my divider between the street and sidewalk that throw wicked shadows that move across the sidewalk at different angles throughout the day. I need to record anyone walking on the sidewalk in front of my property and the alerts are mostly shadows. BI used to work well with cancel shadows in earlier versions but seems to be useless now. I have tried numerous "crossing zones", size, contrast and trigger settings, all to no evail. Anyone have any luck with their settings they can share?

Thanks!

JMartin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Chain Saw.jpg

(Just kidding - I have a similar problem in my front yard with some willow trees that blow/sway and trigger constantly)

Starman66

n3wb
Reaction score
Have the cameras set to continuously record now because I'm afraid will miss something. Not good

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
disk space is cheap, I have 7 cameras all recording 24/7 and I have over 3 weeks of archive on 10TB

motion recording is designed to save disk space, getting a bunch of false alarms is par the course for outdoor uses.. more often than not your going to get dozens, perhaps hundreds of false events for every one thing you want.. but then you still risk missing stuff.

Ive gone back through my footage and found kids carsurfing, sounds of neighbors windows breaking off in the distance, nearby gunfire, wildlife, etc.. none of which would have been recorded if I was relying on strict areas of interest.

Starman66

n3wb
Reaction score
yea, I guess I was just spoiled before when cancel shadows (Gaussian) worked well. So be it for now I guess until a future update?

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
disk space is cheap, I have 7 cameras all recording 24/7 and I have over 3 weeks of archive on 10TB

motion recording is designed to save disk space, getting a bunch of false alarms is par the course for outdoor uses.. more often than not your going to get dozens, perhaps hundreds of false events for every one thing you want.. but then you still risk missing stuff.

Ive gone back through my footage and found kids carsurfing, sounds of neighbors windows breaking off in the distance, nearby gunfire, wildlife, etc.. none of which would have been recorded if I was relying on strict areas of interest.
Has nothing to do with disk space. You can have both, full recording and motion alerts and if you get ton of false alerts it becomes a burden to review them and making it useless. I have tree shadows too, but this hasn't been a huge issue in my cams with motion alerts set in NVR, maybe 1-2 false alarms from tree shadows per day.

Starman66

n3wb
Reaction score
Agree regarding being a burden and rendering the alert process useless. That's a big plus for the BI software and now can't really use the feature.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
alerts outdoors has always been useless, its too dynamic of an environment for video.. with a couple false alarms per day who actually pays attention to real events? I just use it so finding activity in a recording is easier.. reviewing 12h of footage at 8x speed sucks, but with motion flags you can quickly go through all the actual activity.

99.999% of my recorded footage gets overwritten without ever being played back, I dont go through and check activity.. yet when I get an alert someone's opened a gate/mailbox/door/window with 100% accuracy and I respond instantly.. it happens pretty much never under any normal circumstances, so when it does happen it really gets your attention..