Anyone tried VMS software?

larryhagman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have used VMS software from Polyvision for many years with my older Annke CCTV system. VMS — VMS ПО под ОС Windows / Windows / ПО | Polyvision.ru - оборудование для видеонаблюдения (use Google Chrome to get translated page).
The software would be considered extremely basic compared to Blue Iris etc, however it was invaluable to me because it does NOT hog the system resources like every other program I have tried.
I am desperately trying to get it working on my LAN so I can use several old PCs to monitor the cameras (not record, just monitor). I did this before so I could have a monitor in various locations using crappy old laptops/mac mini/desktop PC. I have tried iVMS4200 and it's a bitch for slowing down the machines, they can barely do anything but the cameras, and even when only running that one program (iVMS) it still lags and cameras get miles behind, to the point I only have ONE camera monitored, and even that has to be a sub stream! It's not my internet speed, that's plenty fast enough for definite.

So... Does anywhere use Polyvisions's VMS software? I have tried but can't connect to the Hikvision NVR. I enter the correct IP address and user/password in the form shown in pic below, but it just says "Offline" or "Timeout". VMS should be able to connect to any NVR on the LAN, always has before (used it with several systems including ones which are not internet-capable). I would be really grateful for any ideas or suggestions as I desperately need to get VMS running, I can't afford three damnb i7 PCs just to run iVMS!. Thanks

Screen Shot 2020-03-29 at 15.28.41.png

larryhagman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
P.S. I never know what port number to enter. It defaults to that 34567, so i Tried that and 80. any suggestions for others to try would be welcome too. Not a genius with this stuff me. !

Oh and also I found this page which shows VMS software. It's a really good bit of kit, basic, but efficient and great for old computers with low processing power. If only I could get it to see the frigging Hikvision NVR!!

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
P.S. I never know what port number to enter. It defaults to that 34567, so i Tried that and 80. any suggestions for others to try would be welcome too. Not a genius with this stuff me. !
Try 554.

BTW, if you want to "monitor the cameras (not record, just monitor)" as you say, why not try to open a browser on the PC, enter the IP of your NVR and observe the NVR's built-in webGUI to look at the desired camera or cameras?

Or once you discover the proper URL to use to stream from the NVR you could just view the desired camera using VLC.

larryhagman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks. 554 - still times out. weird.

I don't use internet explorer and not sussed how to get cameras to display in firefox yet.

I am not streaming the NVR over the internet, only the LAN, which should work better. I definitely have the right address/IP because I can get into it in Firefox at the same IP (just can't see pictures due to plugin issue). I have never heard of using VLC, i do have it installed and use it a lot. That would work for monitoring but really I need VMS so I can skip back or switch to other cameras.

larryhagman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
PS, do you know of any other common ports I can try? I find it really odd that it can't connect when all browsers can!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You cannot stream RTSP directly to a standard browser. You need to know the RTSP URL and port to put into the VMS or VLC.

You have several things you need to discover first:

1) The correct RTSP URL to stream from the NVR to any VMS or even VLC
2) The correct port for RTSP to stream from the NVR.

To help with both questions, what is the model number of the NVR?

larryhagman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks. Just looking up RTSP!

The NVR is DS-7616NXI-I2/16P/4S

concord

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Are you using the latest version? I found this on youtube, it looks like the same software, but it has a pull down to select different manufacturers and ONVIF. Following the link to the software, it appears to be from yousee.

larryhagman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks Tony. Unfortunately my version of VMS (Mac latest one I can get) doesn't offer the choice of HK (which I assume means Hik) nor Onvif. I dont have Onvif turned on in my NVR. Not sure what that's for really so I left it off. But either way I don't think my VMS can find the cameras. Such a pain as I know it shouild be able to and I woiuld much prefer to use VMS than iVMS 4200 which is so damn heavy on the processor

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Did you look into the VMS @concord mentioned? It does look VERY similar to the one in your link.

To quote onvif.org, "...ONVIF is an open industry forum that provides and promotes standardized interfaces
for effective interoperability of IP-based physical security products. "

I'd enable/turn ON that feature in your NVR.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry, no idea what you mean there. What is a "concord" (if not an airplane :) )
@concord is the forum member that made post #8 above. :wtf:
You can reference a forum member in your post by placing the '"@" symbol in front of their user name. They will get notified regarding that reference.

larryhagman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Neat! In that case yes I watched that video but it's a different version of the software to mine. Mine doesn't have the ONVIF selectable. I will see if I can find a version with that option.

larryhagman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well I give up!! I have spent all day and no matter what I try, I can't get VMS software to view or even access the NVR. I know the settings are correct so I am stumped. If i enter 192.168.1.69 in my browser, I get the NVR login. If I enter that in VMS, it just says "offline". Such a shame as that program is SO much nicer than iVMS (for simple monitoring) and leaves my coimputer capable of running other tasks. Thanks for help, I really don't think the Hik NVR likes to be used with anything but iVMS :(