Anyone used a "Hot Spot" for monitoring at location without wired internet?

observant1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Did it work ok? What happens if power goes out? I do not have any info on the Hot spot other than they said they could leave it at their lake house if it gave them access to view their cameras over the app.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
I have used hot spots for different things. I would not rely on it for an anything critical unless you get one of the
home units that have a wired ethernet connection. The wireless does not come up and reconnect reliable.

Using wired connection it works well with both Dahua and Hikvision NVR.
Video will go through a lot of data, so reduce resolution and frames per second to minimize data used.

A small UPS works well for backup.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've seen some threads over the years where folks were having problems with wireless carriers using a different type of NAT that made remotely connecting back into the systems more difficult, but not sure if that's something that's changed over time.

observant1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Using wired connection it works well with both Dahua and Hikvision NVR.
It is a dahua dvr. Will inquire if the hotspot has a wired connection available. - thanks

I've seen some threads over the years where folks were having problems with wireless carriers using a different type of NAT that made remotely connecting back into the systems more difficult, but not sure if that's something that's changed over time.
This is my concern. It's to provide remote access via gDMSS to the dvr for occasional viewing. Sorry I don't have info on the hotspot, but the person that asked if it was possible said he'd leave it at his lake house permanently if it would provide accessibility to the dvr.

I'll find out what hotspot he has and any ifo i can. Thanks for the reply's.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
Most hot spots will be behind more then one NAT's, and they will change frequently.
I am using a static IP for the hot spot (verizon and att will do this, don't know about others)

Second fix would be running some thing like team viewer or any desk.
You can run Teamviewer on a Raspberry Pi or old desktop. Gives you a secure connection to the network.
A Pi will run forever, but you will need to change out the SD card every 5 years or so.

You can use a VPN from the hot spot back to your home network to have a continuous connection,
but it will use a small amount of data all of the time.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Cellular connections are tricky. As noted earlier, it is necessary to use a proper router with SIM/4G capability because a typical "hotspot" device will not run reliably unattended.

The other problem is getting remote access to work without using a ridiculous amount of bandwidth. Some "cloud cams" that push out their video to their manufacturer's server are easy to set up for this, but if they stream continuously then they will blow through any cellular data cap. Just a 100 Kbps stream (laughably low quality) uses 32 gigabytes in a month. That is enough to get into throttling territory even on an "unlimited" cellular data plan. The ideal cam for easy remote access would be a cloud cam that doesn't stream video except on motion or when someone wants to view remotely. Otherwise you are left with the need for an additional computer running teamviewer or something else to provide remote access.

As I understand it, it costs quite a lot extra to get a static IP and port forwarding capability from a cellular provider.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
As I understand it, it costs quite a lot extra to get a static IP and port forwarding capability from a cellular provider.
It cost me a one time $150 for the static IP, that was a couple years ago.
I use it to get notified of something happening, and then I connect in if I need to watch cameras.
Streaming for a day will use all of your data!

I have used a Wyze camera with only motion setting it off. It goes off maybe 2-3 times a month, so no data problems.
I have more problems with the Wyze reconnecting if the UPS dies. When the hot spot comes back up
I usually have to connect with my cell phone, then the Wyze will connect. Don't know why, have not taken the time to investigate.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1 to @aristobrat 's and @Old Timer 's info regarding NATs with cellular hot spots.

I'm in AL like the OP and to the best of my knowledge (which is leaking out quickly) you can in some cases contact your cell provider and obtain a business-class, static AND public IPv4 WAN IP (that's the REAL issue) at a price. I've heard that AT&T gets from $250 to $500 initial setup fee depending on which CSR answers the phone...cannot attest to the veracity or accuracy of such info.

If obtained, you'd still want to let the NVR or VMS notify you so you can come in remotely and see what's happening, not attempt to stream out 24/7.

observant1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Still in touch with this customer. Just asked him for info on his hot spot. ....
If it (hotSpot) has an Ethernet port why couldn't i direct connect the nvr to the hot spot? If it doesn't have a Ethernet port why couldn't i use a wireless router in repeater mode to provide the Ethernet port? The sub stream would be the only thing going out for remote viewing, and am I incorrect in assuming it will only x-mit out when he uses the gdmss remote view function?

He says he occasionally gets a false alm on his lake home security system and drives out only to find it's a false alm. Obviously he needs the false alm corrected on his DSC alm system, which I may be able to help with, but it's not my system. (this is why he wants to remote view his cameras on those occasions)

TonyR
you can in some cases contact your cell provider and obtain a business-class, static AND public IPv4 WAN IP (that's the REAL issue) at a price. I've heard that AT&T gets from $250 to $500 initial setup fee depending on which CSR answers the phone...cannot attest to the veracity or accuracy of such info.

The customer may go for this remedy if there is not another less expensive way. If you own your on buisness, have a 2nd lake home a few hundred dollars is OK if you get what you want.

I'll update with what we do to give him remote access.

Thanks for the help.

observant1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm gonna have the customer bring his hotspot (with no eithernet port) to his business location (he says it will work there as well as his lake home) which is close to my work area. I am then going to set up an old wireless router, maybe loaded with dd-wrt to operate in repeater/bridge mode. This will provide an eithernet port to use for his nvr. I may disable the wireless repeat mode on the router in repeater/bridge mode so only his nvr can use it.
- He has the same nvr at his business location as his lake home. This seems like it should work. I'm not to familiar with hotspots and how they may assign ip addresses, but I'll soon find out.

anyone agree or disagree with this simple work around?

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

observant1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks Old Timer. I just ordered one of those. It's worth the money to acquire a wired Ethernet port .

Left Coast Geek

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
to clarify what a bunch of folks were suggesting above.... a cellular hotspot will typically only connect to the cellphone system on OUTBOUND traffic, and when there's no traffic it will disconnect. every time it connects, its likely going to get a different IP address, and most of cellular ISPs hide that behind multiple firewalls, so there's no way to connect to it from outside.

now, if your NVR is setup to copy vids or stills to a regular internet server, then you could at least see those. or you are using some sort of 'cloud based' NVR software, but most of us try and avoid those because of security and control issues, I don't want <random company> having full access and control over my video.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Seems to me a Star Link dish would be a great long term solution - no?!? This of course assumes the OP is eligible to subscribe and purchase the same for his specific location.

observant1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If it's a wireless hot spot only use one of these devices to convert it to a Ethernet cable
Just program it via wired. If you program via wireless, it will no longer work as a bridge to receive the wireless and send it out the Ethernet.

Purchased one of these. Programed it to act as an wireless antenna for the DVR. The AT&T hotspot is now being left at the customers lake house. So far he has remote viewing via DMSS without fail.
It's been set up for about 2 weeks. I have access to his dvr on my phone also, so I just checked and see all 6 cameras. He's been very satisfied. I'm not sure of the hot spot, but it says Netgear on the back and is provided to him by AT&T.

I'm sure he will contact me if he ever tries to remote view his cameras and can't.

observant1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If it's a wireless hot spot only use one of these devices to convert it to a Ethernet cable
Just program it via wired. If you program via wireless, it will no longer work as a bridge to receive the wireless and send it out the Ethernet.

So far this remedy has worked great. - The customer called me about two weeks ago to get help reviewing video. His neighbor had his boat stolen.

My customer does not have a camera on his dock and wants one. Easier to use a wireless bridge setup as he has power on his pier/dock and is just waiting for my camera recommendation and a date I can do it. I keep 4-5 Ubiquity AP/Stations for purposes such as this.

His system is at the low end (my opinion) as it's an dahua oem pentabrid that can support 20-24 cams. His cameras are all coax but the dvr can do 16+4 ip cams. Total dvr throughput is 180mb. Will not support 4K cams but will do up to 6mp. I'm thinking 4mp or even 2mp is gonna be my recommendation.

I'm thinking a ptz with auto tracking would be great, but don't want one that requires constant adj. or doesn't function very well. I've looked at a few. I need to ask his price range.
I've read some disappointing reviews on auto tracking. I'll be going thru some of the PTZ reviews on this board again. Anyone feel free to post a link to any recent info that might help with my recommendation.

I'm reluctant to post a new thread as I'm sure there are way too many "what camera y'all recommend" threads that pop up all the time. Just thinking out loud on that.

Thanks-

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@observant1 - if you go PTZ, this would be the best sub $400 model out there with autotracking.

Most of the complaints people have is due to user error - either running on auto/default or putting it in a bad field of view. I saw one once here where someone installed it on the 2nd story apartment overlooking the sidewalk below that was lined with trees and was complaining it wouldn't track - if it can't see the person, it ain't gonna track LOL.

But you have to buy this one from @EMPIRETECANDY here or on his Amazon store as nobody else sells it with autotrack, plus it is usually more expensive elsewhere even without the autotracking...

observant1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@observant1 - if you go PTZ, this would be the best sub $400 model out there with autotracking.

Most of the complaints people have is due to user error - either running on auto/default or putting it in a bad field of view. I saw one once here where someone installed it on the 2nd story apartment overlooking the sidewalk below that was lined with trees and was complaining it wouldn't track - if it can't see the person, it ain't gonna track LOL.

But you have to buy this one from @EMPIRETECANDY here or on his Amazon store as nobody else sells it with autotrack, plus it is usually more expensive elsewhere even without the autotracking...
Thanks! I've sent some info to the customer and I really want to purchase something from Andy.