Anyone used the L-Com weatherproof, powered enclosures? Thoughts?

monstor

n3wb
Reaction score
Anyone used these enclosures before - the non-metallic FRP ones? They are for a wind/snow/dust/splatter (yes - ick) environment - a cattle ranch.

-Big ones for use inside a cattle barn - POE Switch and surge protectors (one Ubiquity 8-port ToughSwitch, one L-COM CMSP-CAT5-8, one TrippLite UltraBlok)
18x16x8 Inch 120 VAC Weatherproof Enclosure - NB181608-100

-Small ones 12' off the ground on wood utility poles in cow pastures to house two Ubiquiti POE adapters and surge protectors(two Ubiquity ETH-SP, one TrippLite UltraBlok) for the WAP and cam.
12x10x5 Inch 120 VAC Weatherproof Enclosure - NB121005-100

I can justify the cost if they really do perform. I will use IP67 rated cable glands for my cables and an appropriate whip for the AC power line. I expect the boxes to keep out the contaminants, keep the equipment safe, and not totally cook inside. I am still doing the calculations for thermal dissipation of the larger boxes that will house the ToughSwitch devices (who says you'd never need algebra again).

The boxes are essential to physically protecting the non-camera parts of the solution. Last year my client lost 3 switches(non POE) and 12 cams to a combo attack of fly eggs/dirt, lightning strikes, animal waste spatter, water spatter, and physical damage due to poor placement. The dead cams are all 2013/2014 Foscams devices installed before my involvement. Now I am replacing many parts of the setup and I want to do it right with good placement, POE, power protection, and IP66 rated cams (Dahua's from @EMPIRECANDY).

rado stefano

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I use a lot of L-Com products cables, connectors, power injectors, 2.4gHz amps and corner antennas. Top quality stuff.
I have full confidence in LCom quality and reliability.

monstor

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you, rado stefano. I deployed the boxes this week as part of an upgrade and they were great to work with. The pole mounts are solid and the boxes were easy to customize (adding holes for cable glands, adding screw holes on the aluminum mounting plate). We'll see how they do over the next year.