Anyway to improve image

icecoffee

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Cameras are HDW2231R-Z. Current setting for night profile is Shutter priority at 0-8ms (1/125) and 3DNR is at 30. I have tried 3DNR at 15 it is more noise on the image. It seems like 20-30 give less noise but I like to see if there is any setting I can improve the image.

Lights on garage exterior are 75W, 5000K led. Street light also white LED. Would changing 75W to 100W light help?

ch01_20190104_061926_E.jpg

ch02_20190104_061925_E.jpg

Reaction score
How hard is it to change bulbs? Presume you’re using wattage equivalent in light rating. Best if use lumin output as all brands aren’t the same efficiency. Can you tip view to not see bulb? Will help with auto iris.

icecoffee

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@master_tinkerer Couple minutes to change the light. The bulb right now is 800 lumens. I can try to get the light out of view.

@tangent I more prefer color as the surrounding are pretty well lit. But I won't rule out your suggestion. Thanks.

Last edited:

handinpalm

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes, I agree, both cams are staring at your lights. Need to move them over a bit to get them out of FOV. The pics actually don't look too bad, but if your complaint is getting good facial recognition, you need to zoom the cams in to the area of interest (cars). It is all about pixels on target.

smithb

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'd also zoom in to fill the frame with your vehicles. You have a ton of extra pixels covering the houses across the street. Consider installing a third camera if you need an "overview" of what's happening in your neighborhood.

adamg

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I think the only substantial improvement you can get is to zoom the cameras in.

japjoe7

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Haha the hat was a nice touch, gave me a good chuckle.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I suggest adding one IPC-HFW4239T-ASE for capturing color. It has a bigger lens allowing it to collect more light which results in a brighter picture.

Then the other cams can be put in IR mode and zoomed in and you will still have one cam doing color at a wide angle.

Also, an 8 ms maximum exposure might not be necessary for capturing foot traffic. I'd consider testing at 8ms and 16ms to see if the image quality at 16ms improves enough to outweigh the additional motion blur.

Brighter lights would not hurt either, but you can only go so far with visible light before your neighbors would start considering it offensive... lol. Certianly I'd upgrade the bulbs. It probably wouldn't be unreasonable to go with 2000-4000 lumen bulbs if you can fit them (they are quite large). I've had good luck with this brand: https://amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=SANSI+LED

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

icecoffee

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I suggest adding one IPC-HFW4239T-ASE for capturing color. It has a bigger lens allowing it to collect more light which results in a brighter picture.

Then the other cams can be put in IR mode and zoomed in and you will still have one cam doing color at a wide angle.

Also, an 8 ms maximum exposure might not be necessary for capturing foot traffic. I'd consider testing at 8ms and 16ms to see if the image quality at 16ms improves enough to outweigh the additional motion blur.

Brighter lights would not hurt either, but you can only go so far with visible light before your neighbors would start considering it offensive... lol. Certianly I'd upgrade the bulbs. It probably wouldn't be unreasonable to go with 2000-4000 lumen bulbs if you can fit them (they are quite large). I've had good luck with this brand: https://amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=SANSI+LED
Thanks for the amazon link on the bulb.
I put 1 cam on IR and the other in color, also zoom in a bit on both. Will test out brighter light and 16ms exposure.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

adamg

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Comparing the post #1 to #17, I don't see any substantive improvement in the color images.

With that considerable amount of ambient light, I don't see any benefit to the B/W mode.

icecoffee

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sure it's not a day and night improvement on the color, I would have say about 10% improvement. I could have zoom in more but I think this is a good compromise between detail and overview of the area without the need for a 3rd wide angle camera. To me the BW image gives more detail for ID than color images.