AP or Bridge to connect NVR for remote access?

Dave88LX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a Dahua NVR5416-4KS2 along with a few Dahua cameras and PFS3110-8P-96 POE switches.
My home WiFi router is an Asus RT-AX88U.

I understand the irony of asking to get my NVR on a wireless drop. It's sitting in a temporary location in my basement, (but I am hard-wiring my cameras and leaving plenty of slack for the final location once basement is finished).
Where my cable modem and WiFi router is upstairs are also in a somewhat temporary location, don't feel like dealing with running extra cabling right now.

Hoping to just hook something up in the basement that will let me plug into it, and allow me to remotely access the NVR and my cameras from the comfort of my computer upstairs, instead of squatting on the basement floor.
NVR is maybe 20' away in the floor below the WiFi router.

Friend of mine set something up with Raspberry Pi...but I don't have the time to learn and build something new right now.

Something I can pick up at Best Buy or MicroCenter...along the lines of this:

NETGEAR - Powerline AC1000 Wi-Fi Access Point and Adapter - White Model:pLW1000-100NAS

TP-LINK CPE510 N300 Outdoor Access Point

TP-LINK WiFi Access Point(TL-WA901N), N450 Wireless Bridge

I will also say I haven't yet read into how to remotely access the NVR once network connectivity has been established.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Dave88LX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Have you considered a PLA (Power Line Adapter) and use your 120VAC house wiring like an Ethernet cable ? ==>> TP-Link AV1000 Powerline Ethernet Adapter(TL-PA7017P KIT)- Gigabit Port, Plug and Play, Extra Power Socket for Additional Devices, Ideal for Smart TV

Otherwise I'd go with a pair of the TP-Link CPE510's set up as a PtP bridge, AP to Client. Bear in mind that the 5GHz has more difficulty penetrating walls and floors that the 2.4GHz.
I never knew if those types of devices were gimmicks or if they worked or not. Not opposed to using something simple like that. It's only for management and that single device. If they work and are a simple solution then I will check into those... Thank you.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I never knew if those types of devices were gimmicks or if they worked or not. Not opposed to using something simple like that. It's only for management and that single device. If they work and are a simple solution then I will check into those... Thank you.
I used a TP-LINK set for 3 years, worked great until lightning hit it.

Insure the outlet near the NVR and the outlet for your PC are on the same leg of the split phase 120/240 volt panel...doesn't have to be the same breaker, just both fed by a breaker on the left side or both fed from the right side. Also, don't plug into a surge arrestor strip.

Newer 'G.hn' tech isn't as critical about which leg, but they are pricey. This is one of the cheaper kits. ==>> Zyxel G.hn 2400 Wave 2 Powerline Kit, Pass-Thru, Gigabit, Plug&Play, Stream 8k Content, Brown Box Kit [PLA6456BBKIT]

Dave88LX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Confused about that... My PC and the NVR? Or the NVR and the existing Wi-Fi router? I might have to look at YouTube to see how these things work.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have used a powerline adapter for years with no issue. It is even on opposite sides of the panel.

You will have far more reliability with a PLA than wifi.

Dave88LX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
These are the two options I have available locally... But I'll order something online if I have to.

Screenshot_20230106-171751_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Get the PL1200-100PAS for $95 if you prefer to not order the one I linked on amazon.
Don't get the one with Wi-Fi; you don't need that.

Or the NVR and the existing Wi-Fi router?
Wherever you want to use in place of an Ethernet cable, I guess between the NVR LAN port in the basement and a LAN port upstairs on your router.

Dave88LX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Get the PL1200-100PAS for $95 if you prefer to not order the one I linked on amazon.
Don't get the one with Wi-Fi; you don't need that.
Oh, definitely nothing at all wrong with the one you had linked. I was going to see if I could find one locally to grab this weekend if I could.

Dave88LX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
To follow up, I bought this at Best Buy to try. Seems to be working.
Linksys - AC750 Boost Range Extender - White

It is just a single device plugged into power downstairs, with an Ethernet port.

Currently have this Extender and the NVR both plugged into my POE switch.
I can reach my camera via my computer that's on WiFi.
Now, the web browser/extension...that's a whole different thing to look into...LOL

If I CAN plug one NVR port into Extender and one into POE, I'd rather do that and save a POE port, but either way.

Now I have to figure out my lost password. :(