Apartment building coverage

jarid

n3wb
Reaction score
I manage an apartment building and would like to install outdoor PoE pan/tilt/zoom cameras to cover 5 areas.

Looking at the picture, black lines represents PoE running from apartments, yellow are the (yellow) lights pointing toward the building, green are areas to be covered. (Two additional coverage areas not show are the interior of the garage and the east side gate.)

Two residents have agreed, for an off-set of their monthly cable bill, to let me utilize their internet connections. So cameras will be split 2 and 3. I will essentially drill a hole to the exterior and run the PoE down the façade and building side.

I am looking for storage to Dropbox, snapshot and video, motion detection, email/text notice and the ability to view all cameras on my Android phone and Android tablet and website.

Keeping in mind, other than my initial installation, I won’t have access to the apartment again to fiddle with switch and cables…I don’t want to keep disturbing my residents.

1. Starting from the cable-router, what equipment and software do I need?
  2. What cameras do you suggest? And if I went bullet style, would be recommended?
  3. Any other considerations?
  4. If the setup worked, I might expand the system to cover additional areas. Would the setup handle 6 cameras per apartment run?

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Most PTZ's are not POE, maybe POE plus if anything. PTZ's with IR generally have a power pack. Those black lines I believe are the coax that feeds the cable modems to the apts, not POE running along the building. I think your best bet is to get an IP PTZ and run power and ethernet into the apt. Simply plug the PTZ into an outlet near the router and plug the ethernet cable directly into their router and do your port forwarding in the router. Than, purchase an NVR or a server running software and install it in your home. Than, for each channel, enter the DDNS info that you created for each PTZ and let it log into the PTZ remotely and record it. Having email alerts on an outdoor camera is going to be tough, IMO. Where have you seen a bullet style PTZ? Usually, they are round.