API connection down

Tayschrenn

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Good morning,
Noticed that my windchill and temp haven't updated in a while so checked on BIT - sure enough, it's 'Error connecting to wunderground' - no issues with internet and no changes to firewall etc - it's just not connecting. Tried other API keys (known working ones) and nada.
1674403790839.png

Anyone else?

Tayschrenn

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
1674412398190.png

Well I'll be damned. I believe that this may be a case of Schrödinger's BIT - 1:32 was when I connected back to my RDP session... Maybe it only dies when you look directly AT the BIT... :banghead: - it also started working after disconnecting from the session earlier...
Kinda wish I could enable debug logging.

Edit: Spoke too soon - while it says that it updated, the temps reporting are not what the station in question is reporting - so it's not accurately pulling anything at this point.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I think im using some neighbors weather systems. Not sure if he needs to be on WU....for his feed to work? not up to speed on all this. Just glad I was able to post Temps on screen after several unsuccesful or intermittent feed codes from BI T

Coal_Cracker

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Mine isn't working either It went down at 07:40. I use my own station at the house and the home station Ipad is current. Tools is saying error connecting to check internet or station ID.

Tayschrenn

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yeah, It sounds like this may need the developer to update it to either allow us to manually point it at another API, or (as the API is likely WU specific) pick one that hasn't sunset their API integration as it looks like WU has (from what I have found online, it's been planned for a couple of years)

Even when I use KMNCOONR1 it fails, so that's... really really weird. I suppose it's possible too that they've (WU) for some reason blocked my IP.

Tayschrenn

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I just went through and deleted all of the station IDs in my list and readded - one didn't work, one did... At least for now. So my guess is it's just WU being not very friendly with BIT (which is 100% not Mike's fault)

Coal_Cracker

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Mine went back online this morning sometime an seems to be updating regularly.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I just went through and deleted all of the station IDs in my list and readded - one didn't work, one did... At least for now. So my guess is it's just WU being not very friendly with BIT (which is 100% not Mike's fault)
Yeah, WU has gone up and down more in the last 3 years than a red and white plastic bobber at a good bluegill or crappie spot.... :headbang:

Reaction score
The inconsistent nature of the WU API availability was making me a little extra bonkers so I wrote a simple PowerShell script that will retrieve weather data from open-meteo.com (just because that was the one that came up when I was searching for alternatives). On my system I used task scheduler to run the script every 15 minutes, the script retrieves the current weather data and writes it to the .txt files that Blue Iris Tools setup and BI diligently overlays them on my cameras.

I'm a very rusty programmer so I'm sure there are many flaws in my approach but sharing it in case it helps any of you all deal with WU frustrations:

$Weather = Invoke-RestMethod -URI ""

echo $weather.current_weather.temperature '°F' | Out-File -FilePath 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Blue Iris Tools\txt\temperature.txt' -encoding default -nonewline
echo $weather.current_weather.windspeed ' mph' | Out-File -FilePath 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Blue Iris Tools\txt\windspeed.txt' -encoding default -nonewline
echo $weather.current_weather.time | Out-File -FilePath 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Blue Iris Tools\txt\timeupdated.txt' -encoding default -nonewline

# get compass direction sorted
$Sector = $weather.current_weather.winddirection/22.5 #Divide the angle by 22.5 because 360deg/16 directions = 22.5deg/direction change
$WindCompassDirection = @("N","NNE","NE","ENE","E","ESE", "SE", "SSE","S","SSW","SW","WSW","W","WNW","NW","NNW","N")

echo $WindCompassDirection[$Sector] "(" $Degree "°)" | Out-File -FilePath 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Blue Iris Tools\txt\winddescription.txt' -encoding default -nonewline

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Inspired by @Chris Moore, I've created a script that illustrates how you can extract additional weather variables from the Open-Meteo API, like...
  • condition description,
  • hourly precipitation,
  • relative humidity,
  • dew point,
  • cloud cover
  • sunrise, sunset
  • daily precipitation.
See Weather Forecast API | Open-Meteo.com for more variables you can extract.

To customize the script (see the attached *.zip file) for your location, simply edit the variables in the USER SETTINGS section.

EDIT (2023-03-27): Updated script to V2 (Updated $conditions variable).

Tip: If you install Windows Terminal (link), this will make the URLs in the output clickable (ctrl-click).

1676676911234.png

Attachments

Last edited: