Are DVR + Analog cam setup still worth it? Planning to add more cams but Starlight cams still expensive

BlokehMan

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I still find a 60 USD 2MP starlight cam expensive, given than for 120 USD I could get a 6 analog cam + DVR from same brand (Dahua). If you were poor would you settle for a DVR+ Analog? I'm not poor, but trying to be cost effective.

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
How about a Dahua XVR? it's a hybrid NVR/DVR.
Other option is an NVR and separate analogue network encoders.

I'm ditching analogue right now and going straight to an NVR, i'm not even crossing the middle with a hybrid.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score

BlokehMan

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've got a mixed hybrid system at home with a Dahua XVR. I have some higher end CVI cameras that are still great like the 2241 series, but they arent that cheap

For 6 cameras for $120 you will be getting the very low end stuff though. If image quality doesnt matter.... but then why bother at all
My concern is if I'm shutting out these IP cameras for security reasons and all. And also using BlueIris to process motion detection and etc. Why go IP camera and pay for all the smart and extra features when I remove almost all of them and leave out only what I really need on an IP camera.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
One huge downside to CVI cameras is they lack the ability to set separate day/night exposure settings. In certain locations this can be a real problem. That’s what made me start replacing key cameras with IP and the XVR.

If I were starting from scratch I would go all IP

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
To be clear, CVI is super reliable and trouble free. They just work. The higher end CVI Starlight cameras rival the image quality of the IP Starlights. And there is a bit of a security advantage. They are less complicated. I still run CVI on 7 of my 12 home cameras.

BlokehMan

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
To be clear, CVI is super reliable and trouble free. They just work. The higher end CVI Starlight cameras rival the image quality of the IP Starlights. And there is a bit of a security advantage. They are less complicated. I still run CVI on 7 of my 12 home cameras.
Thank you. Your insights helped me make a decision. I'm going IP