Are exported clips from the Web UI full resolution (i.e. as the camera recorded them)?

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I know when you view cameras from the Web UI you have a multitude of streaming options to control bandwidth, fps, quality, etc... You can set those to whatever you desire. But what about exporting a clip? How is that handled?

When go to export in the Web UI, I see you can choose several formats but I always choose MP4. I also don't check "Re-encode video to H.264". But I also see 4 Encoder Profiles. Are those doing something to the raw video that the camera recorded?

I don't mind having live viewing transcoded. But if I want to export a clip I'd like that to be in the full resolution that the camera recorded it in. I do have "Direct to Disk Recording" enabled which I understand as BI not touching the raw data, its simply writing it to storage and leaving it "raw". But is BI then doing some transcoding during an export? That would defeat the purpose of direct to disk if so.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
When you leave the "Re-encode video to H.264" box unchecked, then you should be getting the raw video frames, not re-compressed, in your exported MP4 file. I believe the encoder profiles have no effect in this situation.

I don't honestly know what Blue Iris does with the audio stream but I would guess it gets re-encoded once or twice along the way.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Ok thanks for that information! I'll just keep doing what I'm doing then.