Are junction boxes necessary for camera installs?

immageek

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So I'm getting things ready to install some cameras and I'm just wondering people's thoughts on the junction boxes, such as the PFA-130 from Dahua. Do many of you use them for your installs at home? I get that they can store some of the wire mess so that you don't have to push it back up into the house or whatever, but do they serve any other purpose than that and a bit of a spacer for the camera?

immageek

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
  • Without box = BIG 3/4" or larger hole in wall or soffit for pigtail
  • With box = MUCH smaller 3/8" hole for CAT-5e or 6 cable in wall or soffit, if cable terminated with RJ-45 after passing through box.
Yeah, that's about all I've come up with. The junction box does add some complexity to the install as you have to juggle the camera, the camera ring and the box top to complete it and doing some of that from the underneath is a pain in the butt, so I'm just trying to see if they're worth the hassle and if anyone else really uses them. I'm going with turrets if it helps any.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
I have done both - but I usually prefer the box as to not leave a large hole (3/4 inch) by just drilling the 3/8 inch hole for cat5. I feel like if I were to sell my house, I would end up leaving the cameras behind as to not have to deal with the holes if I decide the take them with me.

immageek

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have done both - but I usually prefer the box as to not leave a large hole (3/4 inch) by just drilling the 3/8 inch hole for cat5. I feel like if I were to sell my house, I would end up leaving the cameras behind as to not have to deal with the holes if I decide the take them with me.
That’s my thought too, if I sell the house the cameras will stay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Using a junction box in some locations will sometimes give just enough more clearance from eaves and walls to minimize the dreaded IR reflection. Some cameras can run a little hot so using a junction box may allay some fears of overheating a wall.

Will.I.Am

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Depends on where the camera is being installed. If it's well sheltered and conspicuous, I'll just drill a bigger hole and mount the camera directly for a cleaner look.
If it's a high level out of the way, I'll use a back box because it makes it easier to weatherproof and fit usually.

Holes aren't hard to cover, silicon or a pvc box lid will do fine for most of them. "how will I hide this if the camera is ever removed" is pretty low down my list of priorities tbh.

Scott Ritchey

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I use a box where I don't have direct access to the space above the ceiling (or wall) and need to run surface wiring to the camera (through conduit). Half inch conduit is fine but most boxes have 3/4 inch threaded holes so you need a reducing bushing to 1/2 inch. Wire mold works too except there is no slick way to connect it to the box. Regular PVC conduit is much cheaper than wire mold but I'm still looking for a clean way to attach it to the structure. Typical conduit clips are ugly.

immageek

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies so far. 2 locations will be mounting to aluminum soffit and the 3rd will mount to vinyl soffit. Both of them have attic access.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I think really boils down to user preference and into what material the cameras are being mounted on. Its easier to mount directly to wood, but then you sacrifice by making a 3/4" hole. One mis-calculation and then you have two pretty big holes in which one you need to fill in, lol anyone that claims to not have experienced that is in denial haha