Are my cameras corrupted?

Droops

n3wb
Reaction score
Kind of a long read

So to preface, all my cameras had never had their factory logins changed, they were all admin/admin

So last week I bought a ubiquiti edge router X for it's performance and VLAN capability, I got it up and running, and my amcrest NVR (NV4116e-hs) and all the cameras except one were running fine. A few days later I found a tip to improve the ER Xs performance, so I entered the commands in the CLI, and saved them. They were an "IPSEC offload" and "HWNAT offload" commands

Not too long after that, one of my cameras that's connected directly into the POE port of the NVR starts disconnecting and reconnecting. Then after that, all my cameras start acting funny. So I disconnected all my cameras and restarted the NVR. I have 4 camera's ported directly to the POE on the NVR and another 4 connected to a managed POE switch.

The cameras channels show up on my TV with either an invalid password, other network errors, and or failed login return time prompts.

The majority of my cameras are Lorex, 1 amcrest, and 2 Amazon cameras (hitosino)
I try for a few hours trying to re-add them using their default logins to no success.

So I though maybe something is off with networking equipment, I pull out my old equipment, an amcrest NVR NV4108-HS, Asus router and unmanaged Netgear Poe switch. Add the cameras to their channels, and right away again, invalid password, and "other network errors" prompts.

I've tried accessing the amcrest and lorex cameras through their web browsers interface (chrome and IE), enter admin/admin, prompted for invalid UN/PW.

Now I'm thinking, did the IPSEC And HWNAT offload commands corrupt my cameras somehow. I have no real "networking" knowledge so I don't even know what those commands really do. Just followed a YouTube tip, and my cameras have no reset button on them anywhere

Sent from my BLA-A09 using Tapatalk

rocky500

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Try reseting one to factory defaults and see if it comes back. That should put it back just to how you first got it in the first place with default password etc.
If it works, you can do the others.

Most cameras should have a reset button somewhere?

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Droops

n3wb
Reaction score
Try reseting one to factory defaults and see if it comes back. That should put it back just to how you first got it in the first place with default password etc.
If it works, you can do the others.

Most cameras should have a reset button somewhere?

I just did exactly this after making this post, saw a YouTube vid of some no name cam, and thought maybe these cams have the same reset button inside.

Sure enough, I take down a lorex cam, open it up, little reset button on the side. Reset it, enter browser interface, I login with admin /admin and get promoted to create a new pw. Enter same pw on Nvr, BAM LIVE IMAGINE.

I'm excited for his breakthrough, but not excited about going around the house tomorrow to 7 other cams, tearing them Down, resetting and reinstalling.

Sent from my BLA-A09 using Tapatalk

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Maat

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sounds awfully suspicious to me, like maybe your cameras were hacked.
After resetting them to defaults I would recommend the first thing you do is changing default username and password. And as VorlonFrog already said, disable upnp and port forwarding.

There is an excellent post from Nayr about vpn and camera security, make sure you read it:

Last edited: