Are there any PoE "powerable" warm white lights?

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I will be receiving a new IPC-Color4K-T that I won from Andy's lottery. Right now, all of my 5442s use off-camera PoE powered IR illuminators. I'd like to provide the IPC-Color4K-T with off-camera warm light that is PoE powered. Anyone found anything that will work for this? Thanks

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I use one of these in my driveway.

Not entirely sure that it does warm light though. What temp is warm light?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Got any suggestions? :idk:
Unfortunately the only ones I have seen are the white and not warm white.

I am sure someone has them. I haven't searched that long, but when I was looking to add some, all I could find was the white.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm using daylight (5000K) LED lamps throughout the house, wife has macular degeneration and says they help her more than the other color temps. I tend to like them best also. I recall "back in the day" when the fluorescent tubes had only cool white or warm white, maybe more....my recall powers are diminishing.

I moved to GE UL-listed 60W dimmables a few months ago, as the Home Depot store-brand LED's were dropping like flies here and there after only 2 years. Hopefully the GE's will last longer....we'll see. :idk:

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! I kept searching last night and didn't find anything. I think I'm going to try and make my own from a 3000K landscape light. I'll just have to figure out if PoE power will work and how to go from an RJ45 to connect to a positive and negative wire from the light.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I had a Philips 11w 6500k led globe die the other day.
It was only 10 years old.
Dang, that's pretty good.

When I built this house in '05 there were no standard, indoor LED lamps, compact fluorescent was the rage then. In the garage ceiling there were 2 and I had one finally bite the dust about 2-3 years ago, it was at least 12 but it didn't get used a lot. I still have not replaced it with LED because it's so @#$% hard to get to with all the crap under it where I'd place the ladder. But I'll eventually get "a round tuit."
RoundTuit1.png
About 10 years ago we came home one night after going out somewhere and one of those compact fluorescent lamps we left on got hot and slightly melted the plastic at the bottom and it stunk up the house for several days. I was worried from that point forward that one of those would catch on fire when we were not home so from then on I left some of the ceiling fan lights on which were 40W tungsten and were on a dimmer.

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! I kept searching last night and didn't find anything. I think I'm going to try and make my own from a 3000K landscape light. I'll just have to figure out if PoE power will work and how to go from an RJ45 to connect to a positive and negative wire from the light.
They make POE to 5VDC, 12VDC and 24VDC splitters that have a power jack clearly polarized for DC plus and minus.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
They make POE to 5VDC, 12VDC and 24VDC splitters that have a power jack clearly polarized for DC plus and minus.
Yes, I currently use those with my IR illuminators. It has RJ45 on one end and a barrel connector on the other. Landscape lights seem to just have the two wires and no barrel connector.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, I currently use those with my IR illuminators. It has RJ45 on one end and a barrel connector on the other. Landscape lights seem to just have the two wires and no barrel connector.
I have several male and female barrel connectors on hand, bought at amazon, allow wires to be screwed to them, polarity is marked. I have the ones that are generally for 12VDC which are 5.5mm outside x 2.1mm inside but other sizes are available => 12V DC Power Connector 5.5mm x 2.1mm 24V Power Jack Plug Barrel Adapter for CCTV Security Camera Led Strip Light (2 x Male + 2 x Female)

camera-power-plug-and-jack.jpg

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

StevenFromTexas

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm using daylight (5000K) LED lamps throughout the house, wife has macular degeneration and says they help her more than the other color temps. I tend to like them best also. I recall "back in the day" when the fluorescent tubes had only cool white or warm white, maybe more....my recall powers are diminishing.
Depending on the type of fixture, I use 5000K, 6000K, and 6500K LED bulbs/tubes everywhere inside and outside the house. Those things sure help me see better and brighten up the rooms/alley/street. The cameras highly approve of the light source, too!

Heavyopp

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If I’m making something like this work, I would consider changing the light end of the wire connections to something waterproof.
maybe those automotive weather pack connectors, the ones with the rubber accordion type seal. Really depends on the location, access, and size of the hole I want to drill in the house.

A quality glue filled heat shrink and a solder connection is hard to beat, if you can live with a more permanent connection.

I’m sure someone knows which wires in the ethernet cable are power. A lot depends on length of run, voltage loss, 23 awg is small wire.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I’m sure someone knows which wires in the ethernet cable are power. A lot depends on length of run, voltage loss, 23 awg is small wire.
Are you planning to run dedicated CAT cable for the lighting only (no data) or use POE? If not the latter, you can choose your pairs.

I ask because with 802.3af/at-compliant POE, it depends...which is why if you use a 802.3af/at-compliant POE to12VDC or 24VDC splitter, the devices (the PSE and the PSD) will negotiate the amount of voltage to compensate for current draw and voltage drop.

Last edited:

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Are you planning to run dedicated CAT cable for the lighting only (no data) or use POE? If so, you can choose your pairs.

I ask because with 802.3af/at-compliant POE, it depends...which is why if you use a 802.3af/at-compliant POE to12VDC or 24VDC splitter, the devices (the PSE and the PSD) will negotiate the amount of voltage to compensate for current draw and voltage drop.
I currently have dedicated Cat 6 to my existing IR illuminators for PoE power. My plan is to replace all my 5442s with 4KTs. At those locations, I'd like to also replace the IR illuminators with warm white fixtures. I'm thinking maybe a 5w fixture like this mounted to my roof soffit.
1711731132785.png