Are there really NO stupid questions?

Reverie

n3wb
Reaction score
I am considering the installation of security cameras at my vacation home and my Google and Amazon searches lead me here. I am in the process of configuring my SmartThings hub to handle my door and window positions, thermostat, door locks and motion detectors. I want to install a combination of wired and wireless security cameras to cover the property. My goal is to visually cover an adjoining field where I have had issues with folks dumping trash. That is about 250 feet from the main building. The parking area can be covered by handing a wired camera under the eaves. I also intend to place video on the spa, which can also be handled with a wired connection.

If I can find a way to use the SmartThings hub to monitor the video I would be thrilled. I don't think that is realistic but a boy can dream! I will settle for being about to remotely view my cameras live via the Internet as well as record events automatically. Of course, I'm looking for the least expensive, most robust, easiest to setup system I ca locate.

Regards,

Reverie

LittleBrother

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
There are some stupid questions but yours aren't :)

i have read read good things about smartthjngs but I can also recommend to not expect too much out of any of these inexpensive home automation systems--and even the expensive ones are a lot of fiddle.

wire up whichever cameras you can, but take your time with the home automation. In my experience with a separate cheap setup and what I have read online they are rarely able to consistently function as they should and as they promise to. I am currently only using one to turn lights on and off outside at night and even that isn't something that works 100% of the time.

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you are wanting to monitor your system from afar then I would get a NVR/DVR to handle the video part of your home automation. You can choose if it is a dedicated NVR/DVR or software running on an always on server such as Blue Iris. Setting up the NVR/DVR allows for you to open up a single port on your router into your network for remote viewing versus opening a port for each camera which is not secure and not recommended at all.

The other option for remote viewing is to setup a VPN to your network to have secure access to video feed.

One other mention is that I hear SmartThings will be releasing a version 2 in the fall of this year (or so they say). Not sure what your timing of your purchase is, but it might be worth waiting for the next version if you aren't in any hurry on the home automation front.