Are you not allowed to update after support is over?

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My extended support expired last week and has been doing auto update then it stopped updating. I tried a manual update just now and it put my installation under trial, reverting it back fixed the registration issue.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
My extended support expired last week and has been doing auto update then it stopped updating. I tried a manual update just now and it put my installation under trial, reverting it back fixed the registration issue.
That is how it is. There are many threads on this.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
wth BI is almost like subscription based now. not cool

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It has always been that way, the owner just didn't enforce it until a recent update. You are always welcome to run on the version closest to when your support ran out. Many people are still running Version 4 just fine. Some even V3.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
wth BI is almost like subscription based now. not cool
Its amazing how many times this has to be explained. Its NOT a subscription. You can use your current version as long as you wish. You are paying 30-35bux a year if you want updates. You can stop updating for a year, then pay 35 bux and get another year of updates. There I saved you 35 bux. Would you be happier if he just called the latest version v6? Why do you think you are entitled to FREE upgrades for life? That is not cool! There are a bunch of other vms for you to choose from. When you find out how much they charge per camera or how much they charge for updates youll come running back to BI. This is the payback for not enforcing the upgrade rules until now. People are not appreciative.
Network optix will give you free upgrades to new version for life. 70 bux a camera. Do the math.

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Its amazing how many times this has to be explained. Its NOT a subscription. You can use your current version as long as you wish. You are paying 30-35bux a year if you want updates. You can stop updating for a year, then pay 35 bux and get another year of updates. There I saved you 35 bux. Would you be happier if he just called the latest version v6? Why do you think you are entitled to FREE upgrades for life? That is not cool! There are a bunch of other vms for you to choose from. When you find out how much they charge per camera or how much they charge for updates youll come running back to BI. This is the payback for not enforcing the upgrade rules until now. People are not appreciative.
Network optix will give you free upgrades to new version for life. 70 bux a camera. Do the math.
Going from V3 to V4 to V5 I happily paid and had no complaint and was actually excited about it. Paying for major release is never an issue.

I'm comparing this to what I've always been used to. IE: Can you imagine if Apple and Microsoft make you pay a subscription to get patches and bug fixes?

I'm OK if I never update again for features (if I don't need them) and would pay for features release (if I needed/wanted them) but if they are patches or bug fixes, there's a moral responsibility from the developer to release them free of charge.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Going from V3 to V4 to V5 I happily paid and had no complaint and was actually excited about it. Paying for major release is never an issue.

I'm comparing this to what I've always been used to. IE: Can you imagine if Apple and Microsoft make you pay a subscription to get patches and bug fixes?

I'm OK if I never update again for features (if I don't need them) and would pay for features release (if I needed/wanted them) but if they are patches or bug fixes, there's a moral responsibility from the developer to release them free of charge.
You have a moral responsibility to READ the terms of your purchase. You failed. You are immoral.
The updates are not simply patches and bug fixes. They are NEW features and lots of them. Apple and MS are operating systems. Seems like you dont have a grasp of paid software in general an paid VMS specifically. Lets play this game. Please give me a list of vms that provides FREE updates for life, including patches. The problem with you is a psychological one. If he simply changed the name to BI6 and stopped patching 5 you would have no complaints. How long should he have kept patching v3 and v4? One year, two years 10 years?
You have a moral responsibility to not be a leach on society. What moral responsibility do you speak of? Why does he have a moral responsibility to provide indefinite patches to you? Stick with a stable update and you will have zero issues.
I really wish you would move to another vms. That is the solution for you. You dont deserve blue iris.

Last edited:

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
As said above the updates are not just bug fixes but includes new features as well. I suppose the developer could separate updates into bug fixes and feature updates but the 2 are closely linked so I can understand why he doesn’t.

At the end of the day the current update model gives you major features as part of the update which I’m more than happy with and as pointed out above you can stay on a stable release prior to the date that your support expired.

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
e not just bug fixes but includes new features as well. I suppose the developer could separate updates into bug fixes and feature updates but the 2 are closely linked so I can understand why he doesn’t.
As lease someone here is actually reading things betweent he lines.

@fenderman I think you're taking it too personal and should really take a deep breathe. You've always been helpful with my posts in the past so I'm not even going to go back and forth with you.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
As lease someone here is actually reading things betweent he lines.

@fenderman I think you're taking it too personal and should really take a deep breathe. You've always been helpful with my posts in the past so I'm not even going to go back and forth with you.
Stop being a Leech on society there are no bug fixes necessary because there are no unstable versions if they are stable there are no bugs you cannot expect Patches for life. I have asked you to provide examples of other VMS manufacturers doing the same but you cannot. Based on your stupid and faulty logic he should have to keep patching you for life which is insane. Pony up to $35 and stop bitching or move to another VMS and put your money where your big mouth is. It’s really disgusting and repulsive to see you make demands of someone who has put out a product all by himself that is exceptional and dirt cheap and that is why it is so popular. Blue Iris is all about options you have the option to pay for a future upgrades or you can leave it as is. I understand that $35 is a huge deal for you so just keep using Blue Iris the way you’ve been using it before and you’ll survive. Perhaps after a year or two when you have the time to save up the $35 you can update.