Are you still using H.264 compression on IP Cameras?

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm comparing two Dahua turrets and though both are greatly similar in size and specs, the only feature differing them is the type of compression. Buying the H.265 model costs over $180 (plus tax) whereas the H.264 model costs less than $95 (including tax). Having a total of 8TB capacity, should I be fine going with either one, or is still better to go with the H.265 model?

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My guess is that your missing something else. H264 vs 265 isn't going to double the price of the camera.

What 2 cameras are you looking at?

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm looking at a N44BG53 and DH-IPC-HDW44A1EN (this one seems to have reached its End of Life status by Dahua)

I still don't understand why Starlight isn't marketed in the US. Are we suppose to assume that night vision up to 164' feet implies the camera contains the Starlight feature?

My guess is that your missing something else. H264 vs 265 isn't going to double the price of the camera.

What 2 cameras are you looking at?

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Your comparing a camera that is apparently in the "end of life stage" and in their lite series to boot...

To a newer camera in their pro series.

The build quality is going to be substantially different, plus im guessing the end of life camera is using outdated hardware.

These are two vastly different cameras.

Seriously.... Why are you not just buying the Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

Or the Dahua Starlight Fixed Lens Turret (IPC-HDW4231EM-AS)
?

$170 for varifocal or $120 for fixed lens. Great lowlight performance (which you will NOT get from the 2 cameras you just posted) and still fairly reasonable prices.

Do you own any cameras right now? Buy one or two cheap ones (lets say $35 or so from Amazon) and make a note of some of their stats such as lens size and lux. Set these up, get some real life screen shots from your house, and then compare them to the screen shots others have posted using their quality Dahua pro series Starlight cameras. I PROMISE you everything will make a lot more sense once you do this.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I thought the DH-IPC-HDW44A1EN and IPC-HDW4231EM-AS are almost identical with the only exception being the compression format (H.264 vs. H.265).

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I think the 44A1 is a cheap plastic camera in Dahuas lite series. It definitely doesn't have the Starlight sensor.

Other websites seem to refer to it as being in their pro series, but the dahua website says lite. Not sure what's going on there or why it is so expensive.... (quick searches show it in the $190 range)

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The two camera's i (and many, many others) have recommended are proven to be high quality security cameras. Why are you trying so hard to find and buy a different one?

Have you seen this thread?
Dahua 2MP Starlight Lineup

Most of these cover the new 1/2.8" Sony Exmor-R Starlight (Eco Savvy) powered cameras that are considerably more affordable than the previous 1/1.9" Sony Exmor Starlight (Ultra) lineup. Most of the Eco Savvy 3.0 cameras street prices are very comparable to there non-starlight counterparts and totally worth the extra money spent given the performance gained.

For people new to the video surveillance game, I strongly recommend the varifocal turret to start off with; that way when someone steals your stuff and you come to the realization that wide angle views are not all they are cracked up to be; you can zoom it without replacing the camera.. The varifocals are also the only fixed cams that provide up to 12mm optics..

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are we supposed to assume that night vision up to 164' feet implies the camera contains the Starlight feature?
If the sensor size is 1/3", then it's not a Starlight.
If it's 4MP, then it's not a Starlight.
If it's 3MP, even then, 99% chance that it's not a Starlight. There are/were some Ultra model Starlights with 3MP, but $$$$.

I still don't understand why Starlight isn't marketed in the US.
For my first camera (Hikvision), I paid an extra $80 to buy from an official US reseller. It was important to me that I could get "official support" directly from Hikvision.

The one time I tried to use that "direct from Hikvision support", it sucked. Took over a week to get a response back, and even then, the response didn't help resolve the issue. Googling around for a solution, I found this forum... and it had the solution posted.

I will never again pay an extra 50% to get a camera from an official US reseller. This forum offers way better (and way quicker) support.

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
Back to the original topic question.....yes I still use h.264 even though several of my cams support h.265. What I found is that the h.264 does saves space or bandwidth, but it does take more CPU to run it. At least this is what I found on BI. I enabled 6 of my Dahua cams to h.265 and it jumped my cpu up about 10% from 25 to 35. I went back to 2.64 for now as size or bandwidth is not a issue for me at the moment.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I went back to 2.64 for now as size or bandwidth is not a issue for me at the moment.
Same here. I have an old processor -- i7-3740. Out of curiosity, do you have a 6xxx or 7xxx series Intel processor? Those are supposed to be have H.265 hardware acceleration on them.

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
Same here. I have an old processor -- i7-3740. Out of curiosity, do you have a 6xxx or 7xxx series Intel processor? Those are supposed to be have H.265 hardware acceleration on them.
Yes mine is a I5-3570k and it does not support the h.265. But it still does a great job for now anyway....14 cams @ around 25-30% and all running 6fps which I could bump up, but it looks good enough for my use.