Assistance Needed: Dahua NVR 5216 & IPC-HDW5231R-Z Cameras - Extremely High KBPS on Cameras Suddenly

SLP13

n3wb
Reaction score
Good morning all, first and foremost, thanks for all of the information everyone has shared on this forum over the years. Based upon this forum and recommendations from members, I was able to install what has been a great camera system at our house. Any minor items I'd had issues with before, I was able to resolve by searching and reviewing prior posts. However, my luck appears to have run out with my current issue, so I joined as a member and hopefully my issue and responses will help someone else out in the future.

I have a Dahua 5216-16P-4KS2 NVR tied to four IPC-HDW5231R-Z (the 2MP Dahua Starlight) cameras that has recently started acting up. When using SmartPSS or gDMSS and attempting to preview live view, the cameras are using excessive amounts of bandwidth (>50 kbps per camera). I've had the cameras and NVR for 4 years and have never had any issues. The cameras were normally around 600 kbps per camera before the sudden change. I checked the settings and the cameras are still at H265 and only at 1080P for quality. I tried resetting all components of the system this morning to include modem/router, POE switch, and NVR, and it does not seem to have made any difference. I made sure that the NVR has the most recent firmware update per the Dahua website. I'm at a loss of what to try next. What was once a great camera setup is now a dud because the bandwidth requirements are such that you cannot preview the cameras and follow in real time. Does anyone have any recommendations on possible fixes? Is it possible the NVR is going/has gone bad? Thanks and I appreciate any help provided!

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
50 kbps is not a lot of bandwidth. Not sure if that was just a typo because you mention 600kbps. What was the old amount (assuming it's 600kbps) and what are you seeing now?

SLP13

n3wb
Reaction score
50 kbps is not a lot of bandwidth. Not sure if that was just a typo because you mention 600kbps. What was the old amount (assuming it's 600kbps) and what are you seeing now?
You are correct and I was missing an important unit of measurement. It should have said >50K kbps. I've been seeing numbers ranging from 50,000-105,000 per camera.

cmos

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have the same NVR and wanted to compare what I am seeing on my system. Where are you seeing the bandwidth usage, on the NVR system info/BPS page or somewhere else like the router?

SLP13

n3wb
Reaction score
I have the same NVR and wanted to compare what I am seeing on my system. Where are you seeing the bandwidth usage, on the NVR system info/BPS page or somewhere else like the router?
When I have the cameras pulled up in Live View using SmartPSS, moving the mouse to the top of the screen on the camera image will show a status bar indicating Main Stream/Sub Stream, kbps, and resolution (in my case 1920*1080). gDMSS doesn't appear to show the kbps as reliably as the SmartPSS software does. Such a strange thing to happen as the system has been flawless for years and I've had to take no actions. Now it's been rendered useless for my purposes of being able to view what's happening in real time.

cmos

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
When I have the cameras pulled up in Live View using SmartPSS, moving the mouse to the top of the screen on the camera image will show a status bar indicating Main Stream/Sub Stream, kbps, and resolution (in my case 1920*1080). gDMSS doesn't appear to show the kbps as reliably as the SmartPSS software does. Such a strange thing to happen as the system has been flawless for years and I've had to take no actions. Now it's been rendered useless for my purposes of being able to view what's happening in real time.
This is what I see in SPSS for my 5442 cam. It has always been about that rate.

Attachments