Asus DDNS?

99ls1tj

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Help please. I'm in over my head here. I set up an Asus router and open vpn a couple years ago. I'm fairly certain I registered a domain name at the time. Recently I had to do a factory reset on my router. I have Open VPN back up and running, but I have not done anything with DDNS. If I understand this correctly, if my wan ip address changes, I most likely will not be able to access my cameras from outside my home network. I have no clue what to do with DDNS at this point. I assume I have a DDNS host name out there somewhere tied to the mac address of my router, but I don't have a clue how to locate it. Is there some way to find this information, or should I try for a new host name from asuscomm.com? Thanks

jmhmcse

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
On an ASUS AC3100 to see your current (if any) ASUS DDNS name...

Log into your ASUS router and look in the second column of "Internet Status". You'll see your public IP and DDNS

1641411536784.jpeg

Additionally to inspect AND/or define AND/or change a DDNS be it from ASUS or other providers, select WAN under the ADVANCED SETTINGS (first column on router), then DDNS tab

1641411865737.png

Pretty much all ASUS routers have similar interface, though depending on your model YMMV

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
The DDNS name only is active when the router makes the connection. An older name in their system that's not being used shouldn't matter. Should be OK just making a new name.

99ls1tj

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
On an ASUS AC3100 to see your current (if any) ASUS DDNS name...

Log into your ASUS router and look in the second column of "Internet Status". You'll see your public IP and DDNS

View attachment 114599

Additionally to inspect AND/or define AND/or change a DDNS be it from ASUS or other providers, select WAN under the ADVANCED SETTINGS (first column on router), then DDNS tab

View attachment 114600

Pretty much all ASUS routers have similar interface, though depending on your model YMMV

Under WAN, mine just has "GO" which is a link to the DDNS tab, so I assume I don't have one and should just set one up. Thank you

99ls1tj

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
One more stupid question please- when choosing a ddns name should I try to come up with something relative complex like a password should be, or is something simple fine? Thanks

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Doesn't matter. It will be published by the DDNS and passed along to other DNS servers in either case with a pointer to your IP address. By design so not really obscuring anything.