Attic Rated POE Switch?

ServiceXp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Does anyone know of an attic rated (0F to 140F) POE Switch?

avi6581

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

avi6581

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'd risk a cheap poe switch and see how it goes first.

harrijs

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I don't know what part of the country you are in, but I don't want any part of my interior home to be that hot. I would invest in some proper ventilation and get that closer to ambient. I don't know that I would just assume a cheap PoE is the way to go. The switch I listed is one developed for industrial applications, the possibility of a hardware failure is going to be low. A cheap PoE switch is going to be around $40 and if you have to replace it once, you are already in the hole about what the industrial switch would have cost the first time. Some people don't consider their personal time messing with things to be of any value, but I do and it is worth more than $20 to make up the difference.

ServiceXp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Maryland. There is no way to get attic temps down to summer abient. 120F to 140F are normal ventilated attic temps for this region.

NetWorker

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Maryland. There is no way to get attic temps down to summer abient. 120F to 140F are normal ventilated attic temps for this region.
I don't have an actual attic but there is a crawl space under the roof where insulation and an old AC unit reside that venture up to from time to time. It was extremely hot (and still might be) but we recently got a new roof put on and they drilled holes in the soffit and installed a vent every 5 feet or so. Seems like it would help a lot in theory but I guess I'll need to sleep up there for a night to really find out. :p

This might be standard on modern homes but I can tell whoever built our home did it cheaply. Seems to lack a lot of the basics..

Just wanted to throw that out there if that is an option for you.

harrijs

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
There are options, albiet they may not be ones that someone wants to invest in. We have a couple of thermostat controlled AC powered vent fans in our attic and it keeps the space really close to ambient temp.

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've been using a ZyXel switch in my garage attic for about 2 years here in So Cal. Can't imagine a sunnier location in the U.S. They cost a little more than the cheaper tp-link and trendnet but has a lifetime warranty and their offices are in the U.S. Here's a link on where to buy them that's an official ZyXel partner - http://wrightwoodsurveillance.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=67_98

mik

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My 2 cents...I don't think putting electronics in the attic is a good idea unless specifically made for that environment. You likely won't know there is a problem until you have a big problem. There aren't any smoke alarms up there and you won't smell the burning until things get really bad. I thought about doing something similar but figured burning down the house would be a bit embarrassing.