Audio hookup to Dell Optiplex

mrattray

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I just acquired some cameras and a Dell Optiplex SFF 7050. I am not understanding how to connect audio in/out from cameras to allow two way communication via Blue Iris. Any help appreciated

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Which cameras? Some cameras have built in two-way audio and some do not but provide connection points to add external mic and speaker.

If the cameras have built in audio, you simply add the cameras to Blue Iris and check the box that says the camera has audio and then you can hear the audio from the camera. If it has a built in mic and you have a mic on your computer, then you can talk thru that.

If the cameras only have the connection leads for audio in/out, then you need to provide an external mic and speaker for the cameras near the camera.

But the audio in/out cables on the cameras do not actually connect to the computer - any audio is transmitted via the ethernet cable.

mrattray

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Which cameras? Some cameras have built in two-way audio and some do not but provide connection points to add external mic and speaker.

If the cameras have built in audio, you simply add the cameras to Blue Iris and check the box that says the camera has audio and then you can hear the audio from the camera. If it has a built in mic and you have a mic on your computer, then you can talk thru that.

If the cameras only have the connection leads for audio in/out, then you need to provide an external mic and speaker for the cameras near the camera.

But the audio in/out cables on the cameras do not actually connect to the computer - any audio is transmitted via the ethernet cable.
See attached. I think you mostly answered in that the audio comes thru ethernet. Seems like I will want to add a speaker/mic in certain locations with just the plug in connectors then. I am also a bit lost now on the cable 5, Alarm signal input/output and whether I need that connected.

Thanks

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ok the bullet version of the ZE does not have built-in audio, so if you want that functionality, you will need to add external speaker and mic.

All the extra cables are for if you have a reason for them. Most here only use the ethernet connection.

The Alarm signal input/output would be for something like hooking it up to your home security system to trigger it if the camera saw motion, as one example of many.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
If you do connect a microphone and/or speaker the audio will be processed by the camera and will be included in the IP stream to/from the camera. No need for separate connections for audio that way. The NVR or VMS will need to be capable of handling that audio stream and most are.

mrattray

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok the bullet version of the ZE does not have built-in audio, so if you want that functionality, you will need to add external speaker and mic.

All the extra cables are for if you have a reason for them. Most here only use the ethernet connection.

The Alarm signal input/output would be for something like hooking it up to your home security system to trigger it if the camera saw motion, as one example of many.
Got it on the audio. Thanks

So then motion alarms are not configurable through the cat6? It would seem that it is. I definitely want motion alarms in certain areas.

Seems like this io connection may be used to trigger some external alarm as a relay device. Kinda confusing to me since I still have old analog cameras

mrattray

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
WITTAJ Got it upon re-reading response. Just a bit slow. Thanks, you stated it as I now understand.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Got it on the audio. Thanks

So then motion alarms are not configurable through the cat6? It would seem that it is. I definitely want motion alarms in certain areas.

Seems like this io connection may be used to trigger some external alarm as a relay device. Kinda confusing to me since I still have old analog cameras
Every configuration for that camera is done thru the camera GUI that goes thru the Cat6. Zoom, focus, shutter speed, motion alarms, etc. all are set on the GUI.

Now that camera does have a manual zoom and focus button on it that can be used for someone that has a device that they can read it real time while installing it, but most of us do not touch those buttons.

mrattray

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Every configuration for that camera is done thru the camera GUI that goes thru the Cat6. Zoom, focus, shutter speed, motion alarms, etc. all are set on the GUI.

Now that camera does have a manual zoom and focus button on it that can be used for someone that has a device that they can read it real time while installing it, but most of us do not touch those buttons.

mrattray

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks. Likely I will have many more questions once I get to configuring. Need to pull out all of the audio cable and replace with cat6. Still waiting on delivery of cable and computer but excited for an upgrade. Will have at least 8 cameras like currently but may add several more. Not sure of the size surveillance drive to get. Have run calculator on this site and with my inputs I need a fair amount. Thinking at least 8mb. At that point I may as well go 12mb. Seems like my inputs could be off. Any thoughts on sizing. Would like 2 week retention in case I am not able to view remotely for some time do to no cell or internet