Audio out to speakers

wasabi

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
gday,

great to be here learning from you all.

i need some help with connecting a IPC-HFW8331E-Z to the right speaker for audio out.

I have purchased them ebay line mics for $2 and it works fine, i can hear audio from my computer and iDSS app.

However, I will want to speak back to the camera and have the audio coming from audio-out into a speaker nearby.

question is what speakers do i need and where to buy them ? i know i need amplified speakers that needs 12v but im having trouble finding them.

any ideas ?

regards

SquareEyes

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
G'day Mate,

I use Kemo amplifiers. German made, cheap as chips, environmentally sealed and come in big range of power levels. I use them to run small polymer cone speakers, think boat speakers but minus the premium you pay for anything made for boats.

I don't buy from amazon but easiest link to share and should be able to see their range of amps.

I have had ones running for over a decade in harshest environments imaginable. Never had one fail.

Edit: Just realized your are in Oz. In Oz I would use Altronics:
Amps
Speakers
Grill

Last edited by a moderator:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wasabi

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
G'day Mate,

I use Kemo amplifiers. German made, cheap as chips, environmentally sealed and come in big range of power levels. I use them to run small polymer cone speakers, think boat speakers but minus the premium you pay for anything made for boats.

I don't buy from amazon but easiest link to share and should be able to see their range of amps.

I have had ones running for over a decade in harshest environments imaginable. Never had one fail.

Edit: Just realized your are in Oz. In Oz I would use Altronics:
Amps
Speakers
Grill

wow thank you so much.

which one you recommend 3.5W mono one is enough or whats the pre-amp version ? ?
so all i need is this module for the speakers to work with the audio-out ?

Last edited by a moderator:

SquareEyes

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Mate, you are going to need a power supply. Altronics have a really small range of Kemo amplifiers these days. There is jaycar and they may carry Kemo gear too.

The power supply depends on the amplifier module you choose. I think most of the Kemo amps will work on 6-16V DC but some will be specifically 12V or some other voltage.

I suggest that you look for a 6-16V DC one because you more than likely have a wall wart transformer laying around that you can re purpose for the job.

I know that Australia has really backwards rules about electrical wiring and who can undertake it. If you are going to have to run DC to the amplifier I suggest using the largest gauge of wire practical to reduce transmission loss.

Would be ideal if you have a sparkie mate who can advise and maybe do the job for a slab.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
nah, that 18W Amplifier uses 1.5A @ 12v at full power.. most cameras are like half an amp, so your cutting it close but within the 2A rating of that PoE splitter.. and since its an audio output on a camera; i doubt that amp will hit full power for long enough to worry about it, not like your playing music out it all day long.

ben_r_

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
nah, that 18W Amplifier uses 1.5A @ 12v at full power.. most cameras are like half an amp, so your cutting it close but within the 2A rating of that PoE splitter.. and since its an audio output on a camera; i doubt that amp will hit full power for long enough to worry about it, not like your playing music out it all day long.
Good to know. Ill have to keep this little product in mind. Although I would want to be able to speak back through the camera from a smartphone app and havent figured out if thats possible yet.

SquareEyes

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I should of mentioned that placement can be used to your advantage. People invariably look to where the sound is coming from. Get them to turn towards a camera.

Probably obvious to many but worth mentioning.

wasabi

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I should of mentioned that placement can be used to your advantage. People invariably look to where the sound is coming from. Get them to turn towards a camera.

Probably obvious to many but worth mentioning.
Iv been doing alot of testing last night with some of the Etsnm modules and interface.
Question is has anyone successfully used the iDMSS app with the speaker feature ??

I know the mic feature works, I am able to hear audio from my iPhone but when I want to speak through it, no audio is coming from the speaker connected to the interface, from camera audio-out to audio-in on the interface.

ben_r_

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I didnt think there was a way to send audio to the camera and out of a speaker from a mobile device and that was why I hadnt bothered installing any speakers. I was waiting to see if any such solution existed or came out. So far not that I have heard of, which raises the question, well why are there so many cameras with speaker out connections?!

smoothie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Having two way audio from inside the house is something I am going to setup in my system. The thought of being able to do this with my smart phone while out in the world is very appealing. I am curious to see how this thread progresses.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
you could run one off a 12v poe splitter much like I do for my powered microphone.. http://www.amazon.com/ELEGIANT-Ethernet-Splitter-Adapter-Cameras/dp/B0146LFMZG/
don't these strip the power off the ethernet on the outbound side? if so, how do you power the cam?
or do you mean to use a separate dedicated PoE ethernet run to power the amp/speaker?

and while the PoE splitter can handle 2A (24w), a regular PoE swicth port typically tops out ~15w,
tho PoE+ (or external injector) can provide more...

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yes, but the cam also runs off its 12v barrel plug, so split it off.. back into the camera and off to your amp.