Audio Quality Problems

ceb5

n3wb
Reaction score
I've got a Hikvision mic that is hooked to the audio in of a hikvision PTZ camera. The mic is external powered 12v and I am using a 12v power supply I had here from past experiments. My problem is that no matter what device I use to listen to it with there is a loud humming/buzzing noise that almost drowns out the birds that are outside. Any help would be appreciated, is there any chance the power supply would cause it?.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
I would try a different power supply.
If a power supply does not filter the ripple or AC out of the DC, it can come out on your audio very easy.
If you keep having problems, try a non switching power supply instead of a switching one.
That makes the power supply have more filtering and larger capacitors in it.
These are heavier, and usually larger.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
Also, if you are running POE, and run your cat 5 cable alongside power wires inside your house, it can couple the AC from them into POE power.
Move them away and preferable not parallel to the AC wire.

ceb5

n3wb
Reaction score
Will give the power supply a try , no A/C wires by the Cat6 run. Thanks

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
There was a recent almost identical thread except with a dahua camera. The cause of the hum was eventually found to be the audio wires being hooked incorrectly to the camera. Easiest way to positively eliminate the power supply issue IMO is to temporarily power the mic with a battery.

ceb5

n3wb
Reaction score
There was a recent almost identical thread except with a dahua camera. The cause of the hum was eventually found to be the audio wires being hooked incorrectly to the camera. Easiest way to positively eliminate the power supply issue IMO is to temporarily power the mic with a battery.
Will give that a try tomorrow, I tried 2 more power supplys this afternoon with no improvement, will do the battery in the morning to rule them out.