auto staging of clips to slower/cloud storage, update database

sdetweil

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I want to setup for long term clip storage (right now we don't know how far back we might need to look). we 'might' be able to record to a 5tb USB3 external drive, but maybe not..

so I would like to move the 'stored' folder to the USB drive (like a day behind)
record to new,
8 hours, chop, move to stored
when stored file is 24 hours old, move it to USB
when USB is 7 days old, move it to cloud (google drive...whatever)

but.. I want to be able to 'open' a clip, regardless of where it is.. (I moved some files from the commandline, and now they won't open)

is there a way to do this.. I see 'move' on a clip.. can I do that thru an api

how many clips can be in the clip list?

thanks for any guidance

Sam

sdetweil

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
using Windows folder links, I can use the UI to move the file from local to usb to cloud.. (and still open the file thru the UI)

how can I do that with a script?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Blue iris has this built in...clips and archiving...moving it manually corrupts the database...

sdetweil

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok, I 'think' I might have figured it out..

on the 'clips' tab

record to new.. at size or age(8 hours), move to 'stored' location
in stored location, on age(1 day), move to aux7 (for example)
in aux7 (for example) on age(7 days), move to aux6 (for example)
in aux6(for example) on age (90 days), delete

'new' is local
'stored' is local, same folder tree as new
aux7 is symlinked to a folder on usb drive
aux6 is symlinked to google drive folder

did i get it?

all this works using the clip 'move' function

Last edited by a moderator:

sdetweil

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
can anyone conform that this should work?

I am using demo version, new -> stored works..(1 hour)
stored to aux 7 does not (1 day) bunch of stuff in stored folder, older than a day
aux 7 to aux 6 has not. (7 days, not enough time yet)
aux 6 delete over 90 days (not enough time yet)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
can anyone conform that this should work?

I am using demo version, new -> stored works..(1 hour)
stored to aux 7 does not (1 day) bunch of stuff in stored folder, older than a day
aux 7 to aux 6 has not. (7 days, not enough time yet)
aux 6 delete over 90 days (not enough time yet)
it does work...you didnt set it up properly. Also remember that if your clips are still open because you are using combine and cut it will not be moved. Post an image of ALL your storage settings.

sdetweil

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
ok, not currently recording, cameras moved to another house..

can u enlighten me on the "you didnt set it up properly"

new (to stored every hour, works, has no files, currently not recording)
Screenshot 2016-09-15 13.35.51.png

stored (to aux7 every day)
Screenshot 2016-09-15 13.40.01.png
has files

aux7 (to aux6 very 7 days)
Screenshot 2016-09-15 13.36.14.png
has files

aux6 (do nothing..)
Screenshot 2016-09-15 13.36.21.png

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Are you using combine and cut? if so what settings? It will also not likely work on older files...i have not tested that...

sdetweil

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok, no camera right now for new clips.. just did regen on the database, all clips in stored. (never did any manual script, as it would corrupt the DB)
how often does it check the clip conditions (size or age)

sdetweil

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
a copy was done from stored to aux7.. the files were not removed from stored. these two are on different drives.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
i think it checks every few minuets or so...but it might be much longer with large databases...regardless, of you move files around it will screw things up, let blue iris do it.

sdetweil

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
yes, the help says 5 minutes.. I agree, don't want to screw it up.. let BI do the work.. .. I meant BI copied (not moved) from stored to aux7.. not me..

and using the logical folders with any real mapping under them removes the need for the symlinks as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

sdetweil

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
ok, looking a the log file I finally figured out the problem. BI running as a service didn't have access to the drive on aux 7. (the log said Movefiles:5... filename) I assumed 5 meant return code.
later I saw Movefiles:2 trying to move the files FROM the drive (where it got access denied), and rc=2 is file not found..

so, the DB didn't match the actual layout.. this is a bug in my opinion.. if move fails, do not update the DB..

anyhow, fixed the access denied, and regen'ed the DB, and it behaves as expected..

one thing I would suggest, on the clips page, 'Limit size' text was unclear to me.. Limit clip size? no.. its minimum disk free space. so I would change the label..

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The developer does not read the website...the limit size is very clear....your are in the storage tab..you have a choice of days or size...you need to use a little common sense...it's also explained in the help file..

sdetweil

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
thanks.. a little harsh for a user trying to help. if it WAS clear, I wouldn't has said anything.. ps.. nobody reads the help first.. I've been working in this software, usability environment for more than 30 years, and it hasn't changed one bit. generally, if you have to explain it somewhere else, you missed the mark.

my feedback, this was CLIP size AND age, on the same line.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
thanks.. a little harsh for a user trying to help. if it WAS clear, I wouldn't has said anything.. ps.. nobody reads the help first.. I've been working in this software, usability environment for more than 30 years, and it hasn't changed one bit. generally, if you have to explain it somewhere else, you missed the mark.

my feedback, this was CLIP size AND age, on the same line.
Again it's self explanatory...if you have a suggestion you need to email support.. posting here has no effect...

FlipNJ

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Blue iris has this built in...clips and archiving...moving it manually corrupts the database...
Hey man. Where do I even start to.... automatically have BI export the last (most current) 3 days of clips to either onedrive or dropbox. I cant seem to find out a starting place. TIA! BTW I did read the help but Im still too dense to get the concept. My problem was I updated to latest version and doing so changed each of my cameras settings and UNCHECKED the box for "create alert image.." under Record tab.

Last edited: