automatic VPN on iOS?

Edge1

n3wb
Reaction score
Is it possible to have iOS use automatic VPN? Like when i open BlueIris it knows that a VPN is needed.

Broachoski

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
One way to ensure that your iOS Device auto connects to the VPN is to enable “Connect on Demand” within your iOS VPN Settings.
That's what they say anyway. Mine is configured that way for Zerotier but from time to time I will find it off and have to turn it back on either through the IOS settings or the Zerotier app itself.

Edge1

n3wb
Reaction score
One way to ensure that your iOS Device auto connects to the VPN is to enable “Connect on Demand” within your iOS VPN Settings.
That's what they say anyway. Mine is configured that way for Zerotier but from time to time I will find it off and have to turn it back on either through the IOS settings or the Zerotier app itself.
Where do i find that setting? I see nothing about it in setting - VPN or VPN device management.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Depends on the VPN/client. Which are you using?

A few ways that you can do it that work better/worse depending on how you want it to work.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Don't know of any way with L2TP. Don't think the OpenVPN Connect client does on-demand directly but you can install the Passerpartout OpenVPN client which does. Wireguard also has an on demand setting, As above, ZeroTier also does. For me the on-demand thing works great for browser and other apps but often doesn't pick up that the BI app needs Internet right away. You also can create a shortcut which will launch the VPN and then launch BI if using clients that support Shortcuts. But L2TP being built into IOS doesn't provide the hooks to do that.

Edge1

n3wb
Reaction score
I installed wireguard on my iphone, i see on-demand and it shows it as being off.

How do i toggle it on? It does nothing when i try even when the VPN is connected.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Did you set up a Wireguard server on your network?

Vettester

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
How do i toggle it on? It does nothing when i try even when the VPN is connected.
1. Open the wireguard app on your iPhone
2. Touch on the connection you have configured. In the upper corner of the screen you should see an edit button.
3. Touch the edit button and enter your admin credentials or use face id (if previously setup).
4. Scroll to the bottom of the screen to set the on-demand activation options.

Edge1

n3wb
Reaction score
1. Open the wireguard app on your iPhone
2. Touch on the connection you have configured. In the upper corner of the screen you should see an edit button.
3. Touch the edit button and enter your admin credentials or use face id (if previously setup).
4. Scroll to the bottom of the screen to set the on-demand activation options.
Thanks!