Axis 221 with Hikvision DS7608 NVR?

Reaction score
Hello all, new user to the forum, first post here.

I am setting up IP-based surveillance for a railway museum here in California, we're trying to do this on a budget and so far have had great success.

But I may have shot myself in the foot in spectacular fashion.

We recently bought (8) Axis 221 Network Cameras off of eBay. Very nice, clean units, they are working fine. But I cannot get them to connect to our Hikvision DS7608 NVRs.

It appears these are older cameras that support MPEG4 at best, ONVIF and H.264 don't seem to be options. The NVR, when set to "AXIS" protocol (or anything else), won't connect to these.

Am I doing something wrong, or am I finding out why these cameras were so cheap? I cannot figure out how to set the NVR up for MPEG4 streams to save my life.

Any guidance here?

Thanks,

Chris

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Won't work. You got ripped off on 10 year old junk cams.

Reaction score
They were $35.00 each. Unfortunately the seller doesn't accept returns. We are a non-profit, just trying to save a buck and I guess it caught up with us. If they will work with Blue Iris, we'll just use them with that and keep other cameras on our NVRs.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
They were $35.00 each. Unfortunately the seller doesn't accept returns. We are a non-profit, just trying to save a buck and I guess it caught up with us. If they will work with Blue Iris, we'll just use them with that and keep other cameras on our NVRs.
Wow they screwed you. File a complaint with eBay and PayPal. You will get refunded. They are worth 0 dollars.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not certain how buyer ignorance would qualify for getting ones money back...
The seller failed to disclose that the cameras are obsolete. Tell them there are no security updates. This seller deserves to get screwed.

ZeroFactix

n3wb
Reaction score
if it were me I would just resell them on eBay. While they are old and some claim obsolete a lot of companies just replace cameras when they die with the same model for various reasons. You should be able to get most if not all of your money back.

Also, eBay will not refund your money for that purchase so long as the cameras function as described.

Safetyfirst

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Due diligence unfortunately is a buyers issue not seller. Unless you asked them if it was compatible and they said yes, then you wouldn't have a case.