AXIS A8105-E

dabflyboy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Referencing the Axis A8105-E... what makes this thing worth the $700-800 they are asking for it?

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Well if you know anything about Axis you are paying for Swiss engineering and top notch support, documentation, and an excellent API interface. That said, you are also paying 2-3 times the cost of comparable hardware from Hikvision or Dahua when choosing Axis. The market is also missing a good PoE doorbell camera and this does fill that niche. My concern is mounting a ~$800 camera at chest level is begging for it to be stolen or smashed.

dabflyboy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well if you know anything about Axis you are paying for Swiss engineering and top notch support, documentation, and an excellent API interface. That said, you are also paying 2-3 times the cost of comparable hardware from Hikvision or Dahua when choosing Axis. The market is also missing a good PoE doorbell camera and this does fill that niche.
Oh I get that it's a good quality product. I just can't see why... A) it costs so stinkin' much when there are other somewhat comparable products out there, and B) other companies like Dahua or Hikvision haven't jumped at the opportunity to offer something similar for a drastically lower price. There is obviously a market out there for something like the Axis at a much more affordable price. I think if Axis were to lower their price significantly, they could garner a heck of a lot more sales and attention to their products, especially from folks like us here on this site. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe they are doing just fine with what they have set up. :idk:

My concern is mounting a ~$800 camera at chest level is begging for it to be stolen or smashed.
Absolutely.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Axis is doing pretty darn good with all their government contracts. They have a few less expensive cameras designed for SMB and consumer use but that really isn't their bread and butter. They don't want to support end users. That camera you linked was not designed for us.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh I get that it's a good quality product. I just can't see why... A) it costs so stinkin' much when there are other somewhat comparable products out there, and B) other companies like Dahua or Hikvision haven't jumped at the opportunity to offer something similar for a drastically lower price. There is obviously a market out there for something like the Axis at a much more affordable price. I think if Axis were to lower their price significantly, they could garner a heck of a lot more sales and attention to their products, especially from folks like us here on this site. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe they are doing just fine with what they have set up. :idk:

Absolutely.
Axis charges the same for their cameras despite much cheaper alternatives. You are not their target market. Axis doesnt need your business acumen. They dont even want to sell direct to end users.

dabflyboy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Axis is doing pretty darn good with all their government contracts. They have a few less expensive cameras designed for SMB and consumer use but that really isn't their bread and butter. They don't want to support end users. That camera you linked was not designed for us.
IMO, it sounds like they are missing an opportunity.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Maybe but it doesn't seem to be hurting them. They have been around since 1984 and have revenue of over a billion dollars a year. I don't think they mind.

dabflyboy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Axis charges the same for their cameras despite much cheaper alternatives. You are not their target market. Axis doesnt need your business acumen. They dont even want to sell direct to end users.
They wouldn't have to sell direct to end users. 3rd party companies could easily be involved. It's not like they are solely a military/gov't contract company. If that were the case, then I would get it. Like I said above, it's a missed business opportunity.

So, now the question becomes, how do we get the other companies like Dahua and Hik to make/build what we are after? There's a demand here, and I'm sure the total number of people here on the site aren't the only ones looking for an affordable product like this.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
They wouldn't have to sell direct to end users. 3rd party companies could easily be involved. It's not like they are solely a military/gov't contract company. If that were the case, then I would get it. Like I said above, it's a missed business opportunity.

So, now the question becomes, how do we get companies to make/build what we are after? There's a demand here, and I'm sure the total number of people here on the site aren't the only ones looking for an affordable product like this.
Its not about how you buy the camera, they dont want their dealers selling to end users. End users are time wasters and problematic when it comes to warranty and support because they dont know what they are doing .They sell what they consider to be premium cameras. Why dont you make the same argument about their cameras and tell them to sell their 1k camera for 149 to compete with dahua. Tell ferrari they can make tons of money if they build a model for 60k to compete with a vette.
The companies who make these products are not stupid. If they felt they can profit making the doorbell you want they could do it easily. If you think this is a great business opportunity, build the doorbell and go on sharktank/kickstarter.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
You can buy Axis if you want to. I have a few in my business I bought before I found out about this site and the value that is Dahua. Im in the slow process of switching them out as they die or lose their usefulness. DM me if you want to know who I bought them from. The dealer I used is a top notch outfit. Just be prepared to bust out the pocket book.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You can buy Axis if you want to. I have a few in my business I bought before I found out about this site and the value that is Dahua. Im in the slow process of switching them out as they die or lose their usefulness. DM me if you want to know who I bought them from. The dealer I used is a top notch outfit. Just be prepared to bust out the pocket book.
Tons of online shops will sell to end users..b&h for example Axis Communications A8105-E Network Video Door Station

dabflyboy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Its not about how you buy the camera, they dont want their dealers selling to end users. End users are time wasters and problematic when it comes to warranty and support because they dont know what they are doing .They sell what they consider to be premium cameras. Why dont you make the same argument about their cameras and tell them to sell their 1k camera for 149 to compete with dahua. Tell ferrari they can make tons of money if they build a model for 60k to compete with a vette.
The companies who make these products are not stupid. If they felt they can profit making the doorbell you want they could do it easily. If you think this is a great business opportunity, build the doorbell and go on sharktank/kickstarter.
Maaaan, I wish I had the resources for something like that. Too many times have I seen a need for a certain product and wished I knew how to go about getting it made. Eventually someone does, and then ends up making a killing on it.

Ultimately, I don't see much of a difference between and end user like you or I, and an organization making the purchase. Ultimately speaking...just down to a basic, plain level. A warranty is a warranty. If a product under warranty needs support, then it needs support...no matter who it is on the other end. It's still a human that has to deal with it. I could see that they may not want to have a massive amount of the product out there (like Ring, Nest, etc), because that would mean they would have to hire a lot more people (or contract with a separate company) to troubleshoot various issues. Maybe that is a part of the company's aim? Also, don't get me wrong, I DO indeed see the appeal of having to deal with as little people as possible.

My original question was "what makes this thing worth the $700-800 they are asking for it?" What are the features, build quality, etc. that make this product worth the large price tag? I can be completely off base about this, but from what I've been seeing we have all these other companies just on the verge of a product like this, and offering them at a much lower price. It's as if they are each just miss a different piece of the puzzle. One company has this feature...the next has this other one...this guy over here has this other thing....heck, just slap them all together for crying out loud!

Ok, so maybe Axis won't cater to folks like us. How do we get the ones that make the products we all use to build a product we all want? Hik, Dahua, Ring, Nest, etc. all already have established models...why not tweak them a bit and make what the consumer wants, instead of what they want the consumer to have? Sure, charge a little more for it. The models that are out there aren't all terrible, either! There are just features that I think should be included.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Maaaan, I wish I had the resources for something like that. Too many times have I seen a need for a certain product and wished I knew how to go about getting it made. Eventually someone does, and then ends up making a killing on it.

Ultimately, I don't see much of a difference between and end user like you or I, and an organization making the purchase. Ultimately speaking...just down to a basic, plain level. A warranty is a warranty. If a product under warranty needs support, then it needs support...no matter who it is on the other end. It's still a human that has to deal with it. I could see that they may not want to have a massive amount of the product out there (like Ring, Nest, etc), because that would mean they would have to hire a lot more people (or contract with a separate company) to troubleshoot various issues. Maybe that is a part of the company's aim? Also, don't get me wrong, I DO indeed see the appeal of having to deal with as little people as possible.

My original question was "what makes this thing worth the $700-800 they are asking for it?" What are the features, build quality, etc. that make this product worth the large price tag? I can be completely off base about this, but from what I've been seeing we have all these other companies just on the verge of a product like this, and offering them at a much lower price. It's as if they are each just miss a different piece of the puzzle. One company has this feature...the next has this other one...this guy over here has this other thing....heck, just slap them all together for crying out loud!

Ok, so maybe Axis won't cater to folks like us. How do we get the ones that make the products we all use to build a product we all want? Hik, Dahua, Ring, Nest, etc. all already have established models...why not tweak them a bit and make what the consumer wants, instead of what they want the consumer to have? Sure, charge a little more for it. The models that are out there aren't all terrible, either! There are just features that I think should be included.
There is a huge difference, just search the forum for user blunders that either damage the camera or make them feel its defective when its user error.
What makes a 2mp axis camera worth 1000? A: people are willing to pay for it.
Perhaps you can apply for a marketing position with axis and school them in their profession.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Tons of online shops will sell to end users..b&h for example Axis Communications A8105-E Network Video Door Station
You're right. However, Axis doesn't allow their dealers to advertise prices below the MAP (minimum advertised price). The dealer I found would come off that price if you call him up and asked him the best deal he could get you. Would generally be $~50 less or so than the advertised. Still doesn't equal the value you would get from Dahua...

Last edited:

dabflyboy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There is a huge difference, just search the forum for user blunders that either damage the camera or make them feel its defective when its user error.
What makes a 2mp axis camera worth 1000? A: people are willing to pay for it.
Perhaps you can apply for a marketing position with axis and school them in their profession.
I never said they needed schooling in their profession. I just see a lost opportunity to expand. If their company has no wish to do that, that's on them.

Soooo, why are people/corporations/government agencies/etc. willing to spend $1000 when they could be spending less? What is the point of overspending?

Anywho, how do we as the consumer go about getting these companies to make the product that we want? To me, it's a simple thing...see a problem, fix it. If reps from these companies would come onto a site like this, they could see what consumers are asking for or even what problems are arising with their own products and could then just fix it.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Soooo, why are people/corporations/government agencies/etc. willing to spend $1000 when they could be spending less? What is the point of overspending?

Anywho, how do we as the consumer go about getting these companies to make the product that we want? To me, it's a simple thing...see a problem, fix it. If reps from these companies would come onto a site like this, they could see what consumers are asking for or even what problems are arising with their own products and could then just fix it.
A lot of the Government contract stuff requires certification that Dahua et al can’t provide like Axis can. Chinese equipment may even be banned outright depending on the security level required.

As far as a need.... The average consumer is, umm, stupid to be blunt. Look at all the Nest, Ring, Arlo, [insert any other garbage cloud camera you get from BestBuy] sold today. They are dumbed down into oblivion. We are an extreme niche product group. Even Dahua would rather sell to big business and government than us. The average consumer has their need filled already in the aisles of BestBuy and Costo. They wouldn’t be able to setup a true IP cam like what we do on this site.

They would rather sell 1000 cameras to one entity than 1000 cameras to 1000 people.

Last edited:

dabflyboy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
A lot of the Government contract stuff requires certification that Dahua et al can’t provide like Axis can. Chinese equipment may even be banned outright depending on the security level required.

Certification....yeah I get that. I also see them purchasing things for exorbitant price tags....such as a toilet lid for $10,000.

As far as a need.... The average consumer is, umm, stupid to be blunt.
Baaahahaha! Yeah, probably so. I'm not too proud to say that I probably fall into that category a bit as well...lol. I'm still learning. Though, I can't see us being too much a small niche, really. I would think that most people would want a doorbell camera that has great day/night image quality, no fees, ability to have it interact with security or other smart home tech, etc. Sure, make a version that is dumbed down for the average consumer and charge a little bit less for it, but also make one that has all the bells and whistles that people like the good folks on here would want and charge a little bit more for it.