Axis companion, Port Forwarding and DynDNS

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Anyone figured how to do this. Axis seem to have it completely backwards. They want you to have different domainname for every camera and then a different port on every camera on LAN. normal way is you use 1 domian name and forward different ports to the regular service port internally. can;t see any way to do this

mrd156

n3wb
Reaction score
Unfortunately Camera Companion is a decentralized software platform. So the software has to connect to each camera independently. If every camera was on a different site the connection would look just the same as them all being on one site. In this case your router has become your video management box and needs setting up to point to the right devices. There is a upnp feature in CC, but only any goot if you have a static IP and a rubbish firewall.

You could try with the Axis Dynamic DNS service (Although I have never tried it)
http://www.axis.com/files/manuals/ACC_Internet_Access_130404.pdf

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
or you could just do this the right way and setup a VPN Server, good chance your router already has one built in that'd be easier to get running than forwarding ports..

IP Cameras run full blown operating systems without automatic updates, your acting quite a foolish if you understand this and still think its safe to expose them to the internet directly with port forwarding.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
I'd advise a VPN for offsite viewing or maybe just skip ACC. I used to run it and am not a big fan. Well, technically I'm still running the in-camera plugin for in-camera storage but never use it to review footage. I had unreliable connectivity and slooow reviewing of the recordings. Like, trying anything faster than say 4x when timed was playing back SLOWER than 4x. But, if you have to run a headless system, that's what you've got. I only use it for emergency backup if I have to view the SD card recordings from each camera in case of a computer crash (I'm using Blue Iris and have for a while) or it happens to get stolen. Blue Iris, Milestone, Avigilon and probably one or two others I tried briefly and then forgot about are all MILES ahead of using ACC with in-camera storage except for the part of actually having emergency in-camera footage in case it's needed.