Axis drop ceiling mount

Qualitech

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello i have a small 4 camera axis dome camera setup for a friends pizza store looking never did a drop ceiling installation before any advice for mounting?

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
A solid backing above the drop ceiling for the camera to screw into.
Fixed cameras are fairly light weight, but add something behind to be sure. A then bit of MDF might be enough to spread the force over a larger area.

My advice before doing any installation is to "test" the location(s). Temporally screw cameras in if you can, trial them for a few days and move them if they don't suit. Then install properly when you're happy with the position.

Qualitech

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Is there something specific i can use i was thinking of cutting a piece of plywood or a some sheetmetalnor something

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Have a look at the UniFi Professional Mounting System

It's about 8" in diameter and mounts to the T-bar. I haven't used but the price is reasonable AND it can be mounted/un-mounted quickly. It includes the flange and 2 T-bar spin-clips. In the install guide below, skip over the UniFi radio part to the actual T-bar stuff beginning on page 12 of the guide.

UniFi_T-bar_mount.jpg

Last edited:

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
I remember I did a job in a dollar store once with drop ceiling and needed some backings, so I grabbed a couple packs of large plastic dinner plates I seen on the shelf :D. They actually worked great. Drilled a 1 inch hole in the centre and mount cam.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I think the MDF, dinner plates, etc. and various backings are a great idea (especially the plastic dinner plates), but......
those are for a more permanent mount.

I figured the Ubiquiti mount with T-bar clips might help you temporarily mount the cam, see how it works at that location, un-mount it with no damage or holes drilled, re-locate and when satisfied with the location, go with the backing (MDF, dinner plates, etc,) ...that's when you drill the holes in the drop-in ceiling tile.

You'd only need one, as it would be used to decide where all the cams are to be mounted permanently as you move it from location-to-location on a trial basis.

Just a thought....

ShadowFox

n3wb
Reaction score
I used #8 bolts, oversized washers, and wing nuts at my last drop ceiling job and it worked really well. Old cameras installed by another company had the bolts and wing nuts. I added the washers just to disperse wait a little. They didn't need it, but thought it was a cheap addition.