Baby Monitor Recommendation

metro

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

My wife and I are expecting our first child in May and we're starting to plan out our nursery. One of the things I'd like to figure out is what type of camera to use as a baby monitor.

I'm currently using a combination of Hikvisions, Foscams, and an older Compro IP cam running through my in-home server and Blue Iris. My wife and I watch our security/dog cameras via our iPhones.

I have two main questions and I fear the second question might derail any conversations on the first.

1) Can anyone recommend a camera or system for a nursery? Here are the requirements I'd like to have, but I realize that there probably isn't a single camera/system that has each of these:

* Two-way audio
* Ability to quickly mount/remove on a crib or other stationary objects (I've seen cameras with velcro or wrap-around legs)
* Ability to take the camera with us when we travel. This means we'd like to still be able to use it even if we don't have access to WiFi (at a family member's house, for instance). Don't know if there are cameras that can create an ad-hoc network.
* Ideally, could run on a battery when traveling

We have friends with a non-WiFi dedicated baby cam/monitor that has each of these options (unfortunately can't remember make/model), but it pains me to see the quality of those compared to what's available out there.

2) My second question is whether there's been any new information published on IR exposure and babies eyes? I've read through a couple of threads, but there was lots of conjecture, and little hard information. Not having\using IR isn't a deal-breaker, but of course that would make things easier.

I appreciate the opinions anyone might have.

Thanks!

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
http://www.buybuybaby.com/store/product/summer-infant-reg-baby-zoom-trade-wifi-video-monitor-internet-viewing-system/1041507810?Keyword=summer+wifi

Wonderful product, we have it attached to the wall above the crib with 3M command hanger. We take it on trips and to other peoples homes as you don't have to connect to wi-fi unless you want remote viewing ability. The camera and monitor work off there own wi-fi network so if you go somewhere without wireless - no big deal.

I have a HIK mini dome ceiling mounted to cover the entire nursery, however, i wouldn't mount a high power IR security camera over the crib. However most studies show there is no harm when given a "fair" amount of distance. Some articles i read said 6'+ or 12'+ is fine. This portion will get you every answer in the spectrum because someone "once read something online" they now believe they are an expert... So careful - bottom line - ask your doctor.

metro

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you. That looks fantastic. I had left off the requirement of having a dedicated video monitor since I was sure they wouldn't exist in a WiFi model.

Also, thank you for advice on IR. That sounds very reasonable.

Happy Holidays!

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
I never bothered with baby cam products, they are generally overpriced and didn't offer good image quality. My go to travel baby cam has been Hikvision 2432 + mini travel router http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-WR702N-Wireless-Repeater-150Mbps/dp/B007PTCFFW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1450906951&sr=8-1&keywords=tp-link+mini+router. Works great, you don't need to connect to other wifi, just configure it once and it's ready to go. You can configure it to have the same wifi as your home, so when you are traveling your phone/tablet will automatically connect to it. I also have external IR light which I bounce off against ceiling/walls.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Larebear

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Nice little router Klasipca. I might have to order one to take with me when demoing a camera to a friend, client or family.

I notice they have two models. Did you get the one with Ethernet ports?

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
I actually had TL-WR703N model for a few years. It came with Chinese firmware, but the reason I got it is because I could install dd-wrt

This is the the seller where I got it, surprised that all the ratings are gone from this listing:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shipping-Mini-TP-LINK-TL-WR703N-150Mbps-Wireless-3G-Router-external-802-11N-wifi-WR703N/615644397.html

Alternatively, this is currently a hot router that I bought for traveling. It's not as compact, but it's AC model and supports OpenWrt PandoraBox:
http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/XCmVvDW

Larebear

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Alternatively, this is currently a hot router that I bought for traveling. It's not as compact, but it's AC model and supports OpenWrt PandoraBox:
http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/bDXATjpO[/QUOTE] Thanks. I may have to order one of these. I like the fact that it's an AC dual band router and still fairly small and portable.

metro

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your help. setting up a mini/travel router as a wireless network without internet should work fine as well. Great ideas everyone!

alphawave7

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
In a pinch, you could also use a spare android phone, phone holder (car, handlebar,etc) and the app Alfred:
http://www.my-alfred.com/
Works fine in normal light, but no IR for night. Cheers!

metro

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your help. The Hikvision 2432 has been ordered and I'll start testing it out when it arrives. I'm sure it'll be great.

In a bid to increase the wife-acceptance factor, I'm trying to figure out how best to cut down on cords needed for operation.

My wife liked her friend's non-WiFi camera because, in part, it had some sort of battery that could be charged and would run for about 6 hours before needing to be recharged. That way, they could strap it to the crib or sleeper and turn it on without any cords running from the wall to the camera.

I imagine there will be one setup for home and another for "away" operation, but for home, can anyone think of a way to provide the 2432 battery power in a compact form (that we could charge once per day when not in use)? Preferably in a form factor that would allow the battery to be strapped to the base or side of the camera?

For an "away" setup, I'll bring along the travel Wifi router. I've seen some that have internal batteries, so that's one eliminated cord (for a one-time use). Could any of these routers potentially be strapped to the camera and power it as well? I understand the power draw would be larger in this case. It would be amazing to have one "part" that we can pack and go with and one less thing to fuss with. If the wife has to plug, unplug, pack, and find power adapters for too many things, it's going to fall out of favor.

Interested if anyone has any opinions that would accomplish any of these tasks.

Thanks!

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
This is how my setup looked like. My non techy wife easily could plug this in and use her phone to view the cam

Attachments

metro

n3wb
Reaction score
Excellent! Yes, exactly like this! I wonder how I could make it even more compact. What model WiFi router is that?

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Excellent! Yes, exactly like this! I wonder how I could make it even more compact. What model WiFi router is that?
I doubt you could make it even more compact. The bulky part of this setup will be at the plug, then you only have one ethernet cable which would be powering the cam. The router is the same what we are discussing above. You could power router from power bank, but for camera you would still require AC power.

metro

n3wb
Reaction score
I doubt you could make it even more compact. The bulky part of this setup will be at the plug, then you only have one ethernet cable which would be powering the cam. The router is the same what we are discussing above. You could power router from power bank, but for camera you would still require AC power.
I agree, this looks great and will likely manageable by my wife.

I was trying to think if there is any way to power the 2432 via a battery pack. Either via the ethernet port or the DC-in port. I'll have to search around and see if there's such a thing.

Thank you again for your help!

metro

n3wb
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

metro

n3wb
Reaction score
Pretty sure it's possible, but the $$$ and how long it will last doesn't seem really appealing.
You're right, it's expensive. I don't have any idea how to calculate how long it could power the Hik 2432. Might have to try it out and see.

Chris

Larebear

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/cOH9V5fi[/QUOTE] Thanks for that Ali link Klasipca. I just ordered one. Not a bad price with free shipping. :)

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for that Ali link Klasipca. I just ordered one. Not a bad price with free shipping. :)
One word of warning. Seller shipped me sealed box with Chinese firmware (non Pandorabox), I wasn't too happy about that, but was still able to upgrade to Pandorabox and disputed $5 off the price for false advertising.

Larebear

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
One word of warning. Seller shipped me sealed box with Chinese firmware (non Pandorabox), I wasn't too happy about that, but was still able to upgrade to Pandorabox and disputed $5 off the price for false advertising.
Oh great. Is it very difficult to upgrade to Pandorabox?