Backup camera for motorhome.

Cam_curious

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I need to replace the backup camera on my motorhome. The existing system is 30 years old
and is dead. I want to replace the camera and keep the original housing, it's a style thing.
Most bullet cameras will fit.

My concern is with using a security camera for a moving application. Will a bullet
camera stand up to the normal vibrations of a moving vehicle? Some features like
WDR would cause a problem I assume. Is there anything to worry about?

Another thing, I want an IP camera so I can control it remotely but would like a NTSC
video output. That is, a camera with a BNC connector for the video. Which bullet
cameras have that?

Pete.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is the BNC / RCA video output desired so it will be displayed on an existing dashboard video monitor?

There are some out there with IP ability and video out but they are pretty scarce and will probably lack the more desirable features.

I'd likely stick with just trying to find a decent 'video out only' cam for the original housing; you may be able to also fit in an IP cam next to it that is pretty small NOT in a bullet housing, just like the 'video out' cam; I bought a TOP-201 for a bluebird house from BuyInCoins. Also here from amazon. They are 12VDC, can be had with or without IR, RTSP, H.264 and some are ONVIF and Blue Iris compatible. They can be had in 720p and 1080p.

The same site and also eBay have many vendors, mostly from China, that offer the same housing-style cam with NTSC video output only, like this one here.

A picture of your housing and some measurements would assist forum members greatly.

IP version like I have; it measures 1-5/8" W x 1-5/8" H x 3/4" D:
TOP-201.png
eBay offering with video output:

s-l500_2jpg.jpg

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
You should not use an IP cam for this. Too much video delay and complexity. If you get one with analog output, that might be reliable and low-delay enough... hard to say without trying one I guess. Most new cams these days have stopped including analog video outputs.

nymphaeles

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
A dashcam that sends video feed via WiFi to a smart phone or tablet screen would work for you. Check out Blueskysea B1W on Amazon. It has pretty good quality, but it is not supposed to be mounted outside of your RV.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
About 4 years ago I cobbled together a makeshift backup cam when I had Ford F-250 and a 28 ft. travel trailer. It consisted of an unused iPhone4 with Wi-Fi and an app from SKJM called "ipCam, a suction-cup gooseneck mount to put the phone on the tailgate and look down at the hitch, and in the truck cab an iPad with Wi-Fi and a TP-LINK portable AP/router plugged into a cigar lighter 5VDC USB charger.

It worked OK and is A LOT better than nothing (and better than trying to have my wife be my eyes back there) but because of the Wi-Fi, there was a 1 second delay so you had to be aware of that and go slow (which is a good thing when backing up a trailer anyway).

But as @bp2008 said, an IP cam can introduce delays and when you add in more latency due to the Wi-Fi, the combination may not be as dependable and tolerable as you'd like. :oops:

nymphaeles

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
All smart phones / tablets have WiFi. A dashcam with WiFi acts as WiFi access point that allows a smart phone to connect to it. Via an app installed in the smart phone, you can view real time video feed from the dashcam. The only issue one needs to take care of is how to mount that dashcam weather proofed outside the RV. If mounted inside, there would be no problems.

Cam_curious

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I had not considered the delay associated with any IP or WiFi camera. That is a serious issue.
Perhaps I should look at CVI cameras?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know what kind of delay you get with CVI cameras. Probably less than with IP but there might still be some. I still recommend a backup camera that was designed to be a backup camera. You don't need all that added complexity when there are simple off-the-shelf products which do the job better and for less money.

Cam_curious

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Using a security camera and a dvr for a backup camera has the advantage of
providing security for the motorhome.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Highly rated, NTSC composite video out (RCA connector), HD 1080P, IP69 (water under pressure) outdoor-rated, adj. bracket, decent price ==>> here.

Last edited: