Backyard camera orientation suggestion

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
You are right, sorry about that, I thought that has a Starvis sensor.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
The HDBW cams are domes. While I don't hate domes outdoors, I only like them when they're sheltered and have external illumination. Internal IR on outdoor domes tends to cause lots of problems. Stick with a turret if possible.

TVT73

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The HDBW cams are domes. While I don't hate domes outdoors, I only like them when they're sheltered and have external illumination. Internal IR on outdoor domes tends to cause lots of problems. Stick with a turret if possible.
Full ack. Don´t use domes outside with integrated ir lights. It´s so difficult to have no ir clouding at night.

You can also use the fixed lens IPC-HDW4231EM-AS | Dahua Technology - Dahua Technology but have a look on the AOV, in most cases a 3,6mm is much enough (87°, 51°) and you will have no night focus shift problems.
The integrated IR spot is best below 80° and having too much walls in the picture will loose too many picture details.

And I also agree, pointing in the garden and pointing away from the cottage is the best way. The IVS is working much better and you catch visitors in front with full face details.

TVT73

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm aware of that, but it seems like, everybody around here likes these cameras.
If you never has seen the difference and if the lens is in center it´s much less a problem.

Believe it or not, this is the internet thing, the customers has no verification abilities for the reality. Things doesn´t get more true the more postings you will find about it.

I am a professional installer and reseller ;)

CountZero

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm going to start by saying that I'm NOT a professional installer or reseller. :) I'm just a homeowner that has researched and built my own system with the help of information that I found here.

I'm not an expert, nor do I play one on TV. At the same time, I figured it wouldn't hurt to provide some of the thinking behind my choice of a wedge camera as part of my overall camera system.

I'm planning on using a Starlight wedge dome right next to my front door at eye level. I'm using an exiting hole, where a really old video intercom was mounted. There is more than enough light on the porch that I'm planning on turning the IR Off completely. I agree that there could be IR issues with a dome outside unprotected, And I agree that external illumination is a better way to go if you do use on outside. I don't agree that a turret is a better option for every situation though. Turrets are quite a bit bigger than the wedge cam with the small dome. The starlight sensor and the specs are the same as the turret so the performance should be similar.

The way I look at it, the Wedge that I'm putting in at my front door fits MY specific needs better than any of the other options.

• It's a supplemental camera to begin with. To get there you have to pass at least 2 other cameras. So I'm going to know you are there way before you get to the dome.
  • Its mounted well back on my porch, so sun glare on the dome is a non issue.
  • The layout of the porch is funneling you right to the camera, so I'm not dependent on high PPI at a long range.
  • You are going to be 10' or less from the cam, which gives me well over 100ppi anyways.
  • It's a starlight, so I can run it without IR and still make a decent ID even if the porch light isn't on.
  • And its got a smaller footprint, so its less noticeable on my porch where it needs to be mounted. I can tell you that with the size of the turrets, mounting one at eye level next to the front door would not fly with the wife. (And she is fine with the other 11 cams I have up.) I want to cover the house as fully as possible, but I'd also like it to blend in a bit if at all possible. The wedge at a quick glance almost looks like a doorbell camera, the turret looks like a giant security camera.
These little wedge cameras should not be the first choice for your main camera locations outside. I agree that the primary layer of camera coverage would be better suited to the starlight turrets. These little wedges DO have ligitimate uses outside though. And since its an IP67 rated unit, I can only assume that Dahua figured that it would be used outside at times.

The bottom line is we each have to figure out what our specific needs are. And we have to choose equipment to meet those needs, whatever they are.

I figure that it really doesn't matter if there is a "Better" option available if that better option never gets installed because its too big, the wife hates it, or it just doesn't fit the desired location. I see it with clients all the time in my job. There is a piece of equipment that would be perfect for their needs, and they don't approve it for any number of reasons. Sometimes we need to find a product that's right for the specific situation, not the best product overall. :)

Reactions: SLC

SLC

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I agree with @CountZero. I am not a professional installer or reseller either and have built my own system based off the information I have received here. I have seen where other members have used the wedge dome for front door cams and were happy. I am aware of the potential IR problems and issues using a dome outdoors and those issues were noted to the OP when the camera was suggested as a possible option. As CountZero said I also have a wife who doesn't mind the turrets where I placed them but would lose her mind if I tried to put one at the front door. My front porch is well covered and also doesn't get any direct sunlight and have exterior lighting at night. Everyone's applications and requirements are different.

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
My porch is covered as well, so no issues with sun or rain. You can see my porch, in my last picture.

CountZero

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I got my wedge cam in on the front porch, and its working really well. I ended up rotating the housing 90 degrees so the dome is to the left when you face the camera, but the camera will rotate in the mount, so its working perfectly with no software adjustments required. The 2.8 lens covers everything I need, and the picture is great so far.

I figured I'd attach a shot of the cam itself and the view I'm getting.

Attachments

Reactions: SLC

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I got my wedge cam in on the front porch, and its working really well. I ended up rotating the housing 90 degrees so the dome is to the left when you face the camera, but the camera will rotate in the mount, so its working perfectly with no software adjustments required. The 2.8 lens covers everything I need, and the picture is great so far.

Nice job.
How did you fish the network cable behind the brick?

CountZero

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Nice job.
How did you fish the network cable behind the brick?
I had an existing hole through the mortar from a previous piece of equipment. It goes all the way through the block and into the wall space behind. I have a gap between my drywall and the block. So I just used a really big masonry bit and opened up the hole that was already there. Once I got the cable into that wall cavity, I just ran a fish rod up the wall into the attic. Fishing the cable took significantly less time than drilling out the hole. :)

The existing hole is why I had to mount the cam rotated 90 degrees as well. Mounting it straight would have offset it too far over on the block and it would have looked terrible. It needed to be centered on the block to look decent, but to use the existing hole, the mounting plate needed to be turned. So I had to adjust it. Drilling out the hole took almost an hour, since I had to go through solid mortar all the way through the full depth of the block. Less chance of breaking a block that way though.

Not super difficult. You just have to take your time and be careful when you are drilling block. I always try to drill the mortar if possible as its usually slightly softer than block, and easier to work with.

SLC

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Now you can paint it and it will blend right in.

CountZero

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Now you can paint it and it will blend right in.
My plan is to actually leave it as it is. I want folks that make it to the door to know they are on camera. To get to my front door, you have to do a bit of walking from the street. (I have vehicle gates.) No one accidentally wanders up to my door. :)

I figure if someone is there for a legitimate reason, there shouldn't be a problem with a camera. If they are doing something shady, I want them to know that I have a record of them being there. (Which will hopefully also make them wonder about the cams that they didn't see.)