Backyard Overview Camera

ndstate

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking for a backyard overview camera that could cover most of a 50ft deep, 80 ft wide backyard. The camera would be mounted about 15ft high on the house, in about the middle, width wise. I understand the limitations related to identification of people, but I am just looking for a decent overview camera - hopefully around $200 or less. Thanks.

ndstate

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion. I have one of those and might try moving it and testing it back there. Although it may not be able to capture a wide-enough view. Also, perhaps it may be more useful to sacrifice some night version for more megapixels since I am trying to capture a larger area ...?

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
For my backyard I'm using the 5231 Starlight turret @Fastb recommended about. It's mounted on the side of the house (about 15ft up) and is currently zoomed all the way out (so 2.7mm lens equivalent). I hope to add another camera to the backyard eventually, and then I'll zoom the lens in on this one to get more detail in the shot.

My backyard is 75ft wide and about 55ft from the back of the house to the white fence.

I have no qualms with the daytime shot. At nighttime, the back yard is just a smidge brighter than pitch black, so any illumination you're seeing in the picture is from the camera IR. I have the camera physically rotated on a goofy angle, which puts the built-in IR lights on an angle, which means they don't spread very wide horizontally the way I have it setup. That's more of a "me" thing than a "IR on this camera sucks" thing. I have flood lights that are motion activated, so if anyone does walk around at night, they turn on, and then the camera can see the whole yard quite well.

Cam6.jpg

@131388841.bvr.jpeg

Last edited:

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Although it may not be able to capture a wide-enough view. Also, perhaps it may be more useful to sacrifice some night version for more megapixels since I am trying to capture a larger area ...?
Zoomed all the way out, the 5231 turret is 2.7mm, which is as wide of an angle as I've seen on Dahua/Hikivision cameras.

The resolution of the image 3MP has more pixels horizontally, but I don't think it changes the field-of-view? I think a 2MP camera with a 2.7mm lens will see the same amount as 3MP camera with a 2.7mm lens. I think... lol

Have you tried using the IVPM camera tool? You can type the specs for your camera and then drop it on a Google map view of your yard, and it will show you the FOV.

Camera Calculator / Design Software

Here's the FOV from my backyard if I moved the camera to the middle (and kept the 2.7mm zoom). It'd easily catch everything along the fence line, but there's a good chunk to the immediate left and right of where the camera is mounted that would be out of view.

Screen Shot 2017-06-21 at 3.50.25 PM.png

Last edited:

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Right now my one backyard camera is setup like this.

Screen Shot 2017-06-21 at 3.55.26 PM.png

Last edited:

ndstate

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks aristobrat, that is helpful. I will give it a try, but it looks like I could be missing quite a large area. The attached image is from ipvm.com - the red dots are pretty close to the property line. I basically have to mount mine in the center like that, there is attic access - off to the side I would have to figure out how to get Ethernet wired over a vaulted ceiling (with limited access) and out into the soffits. Perhaps I could put two right next to each other, each pointing opposite directions.

Attachments

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
You might consider using outdoor cat 5, mounting it directly to house, and painting it to a) blend in and b) protect fro UV.
Just to avoid compromises in cam location
Fastb

ndstate

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You might consider using outdoor cat 5, mounting it directly to house, and painting it to a) blend in and b) protect fro UV.
Just to avoid compromises in cam location
Fastb
I will look into that, thanks for the suggestion.