Bandwidth much less with BI than with SmartPSS

jzobel

n3wb
Reaction score
I use my system for live viewing wildlife. Therefore I am trying to get the best stream quality available in BI. No matter what options I choose, the quality isnt as good good as it is via the live view on browser. BI is noticeably softer. Is this simply due to differences of decoding, even though its set for direct.

Last edited:

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
first step..
setup your cameras correct.
setup your BI correct.

then
do the math
kbps to kb/s.

after all
learn to take screenshots
upload smaller pictures into your posts.

jzobel

n3wb
Reaction score
Math solved. Screenshots removed. However main question remains unanswered. Is it just how BI decodes the stream? Cameras and BI are set correctly, so I think. But then again, I am here, aren't I.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
If you configured Blue Iris to use sub streams, then it will use those sub streams for all group views, even if there is only one camera in the group. This is the main reason people would think the video was fuzzy.

Another place that affects how Blue Iris displays video is Blue Iris Settings > Other > Scaling. This affects how video is scaled down when it is being rendered in a frame that is smaller than the stream's native resolution. The Bilinear and Bicubic options look a little nicer but beware it can have a disproportionate effect on CPU usage.

jzobel

n3wb
Reaction score
I will upload some photos of my settings in a bit. I have substreams all turned off at the camera side since I have no need for them. I am currently using bicubic as that gave me the best overall picture but its still not as clear as web browser live view and SmartPSS.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Your CPU% utilization will thank you for using substreams as it brings it down tremendously, which may in turn then allow the computer to work more efficiently and accomplish what you are trying to do...

A member here is running 18 cameras on a 3rd generation at 15% CPU and another with 50 cameras on a 4th generation at 30% CPU. That is only made possible by utilizing the substreams.

If substreams resulted in poorer quality during motion or missed triggers, nobody here would use it.

How many cameras are you running and what is the CPU%?

jzobel

n3wb
Reaction score
CPU% is a none issue so far. 35% Running just (4) 4MP Dahua PTZ's and (4) 640x480 Thermal cams. I dont record. The cameras are simply for live viewing wildlife, not security. So full quality is what is most important.

jzobel

n3wb
Reaction score
Here are comparison shots. Top is via Browser or SmartPSS. Below is through BI. You can see its noticeable softer. Also included video settings.

Capture2.JPGCapture1.JPGCapture4.JPGCapture5.JPGCapture3.JPG