Basic NVR and Cameras IPv4 addresses

Schmark

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The graphics below is meant as a helpful starting point for new installations and is based on my personal installation and on several forum posts, both from long-time and experienced members and from other posts showing the difficulties that some have encountered in their own setup. Note that the IP addresses shown are not unique; they work on my system, but others will work as well. Also of note is the identical address (in red font) between the NIC’s address and all the attached cameras' gateway addresses.

Since I am not using a PoE switch, I did not show it out if ignorance of how it interfaces with the different connections shown.

Please feel free to point to any inaccuracy or missing data that could enhance this and I will make the appropriate correction(s).

-S
= = = = = = = = =
NVR typical setup.jpg

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The NIC for most Hikvision NVRs AFAIK is 192.168.254.x

Most people will probably have the NVR IP on DHCP too.

Ports to forward is useful but it's best to recommend only 8000 and use iVMS apps for security.

Schmark

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
In theory, since the NIC runs a local network, any IPv4 address (other than the NVR's address) should work for the NIC. True?

-S

domelsnake

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I don't think you can use 169.X.X.X addresses as these are given if a client can't talk to DHCP server.

As DelBoy pointed the pre-defined IP subnet for the cameras connected to your NVR is 192.168.254.0/24. Obviously feel free to change it but it can not collide with subnets defined for your LAN and you should only be using private ranges.

Schmark

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
A great thanks to Del Boy and domelsnake for their respective feedbacks. I make the suggested changes in the graphics below. More comments are welcome.

-S
= = = = = = =
NVR typical setup.jpg