Basic question - Cat 5e/5 cable

S0619212

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I was practicing how to terminate patch cables, my question is if I do not put the wires in right order will it even still work may be with less performance? I terminated a Cate 5e cable and the max throughput I am getting is around 100 Mbps and on a Cat 5 cable I am able to get more than 200 Mbps, I understand both of these should be able to push well beyond 500Mbps, I am wondering could it be that I terminated the cable wrong so there is drop in through put or just the cable itself is not good?

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Plain and simple, There is a reason to follow the termination code, has to do with the number of twists in the pairs to circumvent data loss. Use the Code. As yes to your question, it will work but with degraded results. Properly terminated 5e can get 1 gig if done correct.

CaptureB.JPG

S0619212

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Plain and simple, There is a reason to follow the termination code, has to do with the number of twists in the pairs to circumvent data loss. Use the Code. As yes to your question, it will work but with degraded results. Properly terminated 5e can get 1 gig if done correct.

View attachment 72006

Thanks.

So I got these , these come with tiny caps into which I have to insert the wires, I might have messed up over there, this is the first time me doing it, these are so tiny!!!!. I think I did OK job in crimping and cutting the cable, do you have any recommendations to get this right? Should I purchasing different pins?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
I use those connectors all the time at work. My preferred connectors than the normal slide in ones. No worry about getting correct length until little wire holder piece is in place, can double check wire color before inserting into the main RJ45.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks.

So I got these , these come with tiny caps into which I have to insert the wires, I might have messed up over there, this is the first time me doing it, these are so tiny!!!!. I think I did OK job in crimping and cutting the cable, do you have any recommendations to get this right? Should I purchasing different pins?
Now you need a tester to check your work. If this is something you are going to use here and there, get a cheap continuity tester, they can be had on amazon for about $25 -$30 bux.
Klein tester

S0619212

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I use those connectors all the time at work. My preferred connectors than the normal slide in ones. No worry about getting correct length until little wire holder piece is in place, can double check wire color before inserting into the main RJ45.
[/QUOTE
Now you need a tester to check your work. If this is something you are going to use here and there, get a cheap continuity tester, they can be had on amazon for about $25 -$30 bux.
Klein tester
Thanks. I got one of these , someone on ebay was selling this for $30 :).

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Thanks.

I also use those. You can make the wires longer and then trim them flush at the end. I feel like its easier this way. I use a copper wire cutter like this. It leaves the end flush and clean cut.

41O9-3xHxIL._AC_SY400_.jpg

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
How are you measuring throughput?

Even if you have things terminated properly, depending on how measured, throughput will be dependent on the capabilities of the device usually more than the cable.

S0619212

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
How are you measuring throughput?

Even if you have things terminated properly, depending on how measured, throughput will be dependent on the capabilities of the device usually more than the cable.
speedof.me and also downloading a 1 GB file.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
speedof.me and also downloading a 1 GB file.
Not good tests for your internal cable. That's going out over your router and Internet connection to a remote server and everything in between, plus whatever bottlenecks there are on the local device(s), etc. I have 1Gig fiber to the house and that same test just gave me 31.67 down and 127.74 up on one older machine, 137.51 up and 399.75 on another, 465.19, 451.84 on another, all running on the same network/cable/Internet connection. From the FIOS and some other sites it will test out +800 for up/down on the faster machines, maybe 200-ish on the older.

You'd really need a cable tester/certifier to test the wire speed. You can search for iperf to download and run internally as a better test. That still will be dependent to some extent on the capabilities of the devices where running though.

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks.

I've used those also and are OK if you first do a couple of things to make it easier on yourself ==>> here.

EDIT: BTW, in your first post you stated CAT-5e cable; those 2-piece connectors you linked are for staggered CAT-6 cable. They'll work but if they are for the larger 23AWG I would not recommend them....match the proper connector to the cable specs.

Last edited: