Battery powered IR illuminators?

Aajjoo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi,

In a couple of months, I´ll set up my new Dahua system in my summerhouse. During may-august, we´ve pretty much got 24 hrs of daylight but during the rest of the year it´s quite dark. I December-January, i´d say we get around 2-3 hrs of daylight there...

Anyway, bought a couple of IPC-HDW5231R-ZE´s a couple of months ago and as far as I've understood, they are great low-light performers. However, I understand that the IR "area" is somewhat narrow so I think they need some help during those dark months.
As there´s one single socket live in the house during most parts of the year which is powering the NVR I need to find a battery powered IR illuminator which wakes up on motion detection.

Anyone that can recommend what to get?

Thanks!

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
Given the environment, even a battery powered IR will be problematic. I have a solar post light with 5ah of battery in it. It draws about 100ma at 3.7 volts (lithium ion batteries). With no real, bright, sunlight the best it can do is about two hours, say 200mah once the batteries have come off full charge and been in use for a week or two. At best, you're probably going to have to kludge something together with a PIR, solar panel(s), batteries and an IR illuminator. Depending on the size of the area you're trying to light up, the load can go up really quickly. I realize that we're only talking about less than a minute at a time of IR use combined with the constant load of a PIR, but the cumulative drain versus short/weak/no charge time is going to give you fits. Another dodge would be getting PoE splitters and using those to power IR lights or a PIR/IR built to do the job.

Last edited:

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
While the I R area is narrow, if you’re zooming in it may be sufficient to cover your needs understand that each camera me be set up differently

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reaction score
Who would have more experience in shooting in total darkness than Ghost Hunters. These IR Emitter Panels are battery powered with attenuation. I asked this company to make me a custom panel based on how close my subject is and how wide an area I need to cover as well as depth. I also had them add an external AC power supply. They did a great job!

Lights. Came to about $300.00

Then there are these guys;

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B0W4EK4/ref=s9_acsd_topr_hd_bw_b7odDwR_c_x_w?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-4&pf_rd_r=VVS8VCVZAYH0ZRS80FES&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1bb1c7f5-0309-590b-b838-e833f41d61a9&pf_rd_i=7161095011 Very expensive. They have an excellent line of IR Emitter panels.

This is a decent IR Emitter Panel for the money;

https://www.amazon.com/Tendelux-Illuminator-BI18-Outdoor-Security/dp/B0771HSGH4/ref=lp_7161095011_1_7?s=security-surveillance&ie=UTF8&qid=1521880550&sr=1-7

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
Again, power consumption versus power generation in a solar only system becomes problematic. Ten to twenty watts of lighting, IR or visible, takes almost an amp to almost two amps of current at 12 volts. Keeping enough battery charged in a remote location with limited, very limited, sunlight is going to be a real challenge or take an extremely large battery system, comparatively speaking, to maintain reliability.