Battling the CPU Util%

kpaschall1

n3wb
Reaction score
I know this is a common one with Blue Iris, but still battling.

I've got a HP workstation, little dated but Xeon E5420 CPU @2.5Ghz, 32GB RAM.

Running Blue Iris, recent version with 4 HIK cameras turned on right now, all the DS-2CD variety. Have them set to:

2048x1536
Variable Bitrate
Higher - Video Quality
15fps
4096 Max Bitrate
H.264
I-Frame - 15
Video Stream only

Set the cameras to direct to disk
15fps on Blue Iris.

I have tried running on desktop and as service.

Even when i turn recording off, cpu stays at that level

It is running 90 - 100 cpu % most of the time with the four.

Any other settings I missed?
Is my CPU just to slow?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@kpaschall1 Welcome to the forum. Your cpu is pretty slow - only about a 3500 passmark..
Here are some things to try. First, if you dont need the extra vertical field of view, consider running you cameras in 2mp mode, you will not lose any perceptible clarity in the image. You will also gain a tiny bit of horizontal field of view.
Use bvr format (not mp4/avi).
Limit your live frame rates - blue iris options>cameras (will not affect recording)
Are you viewing the pc with an attached monitor or using remote access software?

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
I know this is a common one with Blue Iris, but still battling.

I've got a HP workstation, little dated but Xeon E5420 CPU @2.5Ghz, 32GB RAM.

Running Blue Iris, recent version with 4 HIK cameras turned on right now, all the DS-2CD variety. Have them set to:

2048x1536
Variable Bitrate
Higher - Video Quality
15fps
4096 Max Bitrate
H.264
I-Frame - 15
Video Stream only

Set the cameras to direct to disk
15fps on Blue Iris.

I have tried running on desktop and as service.

Even when i turn recording off, cpu stays at that level

It is running 90 - 100 cpu % most of the time with the four.

Any other settings I missed?
Is my CPU just to slow?
I think computer is lacking bit time, your asking it to suck a lot of video bits, and not complain.

kpaschall1

n3wb
Reaction score
Using attached monitor.

2mp mode is 1920x1080, correct?

@kpaschall1 Welcome to the forum. Your cpu is pretty slow - only about a 3500 passmark..
Here are some things to try. First, if you dont need the extra vertical field of view, consider running you cameras in 2mp mode, you will not lose any perceptible clarity in the image. You will also gain a tiny bit of horizontal field of view.
Use bvr format (not mp4/avi).
Limit your live frame rates - blue iris options>cameras (will not affect recording)
Are you viewing the pc with an attached monitor or using remote access software?
- - - Updated - - -

I assumed that might be my issue, but wanted to make sure before i shell out for a new machine....

Thx

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
yes, 1920x1080...if you get a new machine, (and you dont plan on adding more cams) look for the dell outlet optiplex 7020 i5 deals. You can get a haswell i5 for about 300. HP elitedesk 800 business machines are great as well and can be had for that price via ebay. Dont get AMD. If you want room for expansion look at haswell i7-4790 systems (about 500)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Also, i already had live frame rates at 15fps in BI, changed to 10fps.
There has been an uptick in the cpu consumption in the last few updates. There was a change in how blue iris handles some streams in 4.0.9 but I think this uptick happened well after the initial change. I only messed with it on two systems but I see a significant increase...not sure if its permanent though..

atom

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There has been an uptick in the cpu consumption in the last few updates. There was a change in how blue iris handles some streams in 4.0.9 but I think this uptick happened well after the initial change. I only messed with it on two systems but I see a significant increase...not sure if its permanent though..
I've noticed the same fenderman (wasn't sure if it was just my system, I've been wondering if I changed something for the worse), and really hope it's not permanent!

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
I've noticed the same fenderman (wasn't sure if it was just my system, I've been wondering if I changed something for the worse), and really hope it's not permanent!
Do you have Foscam or Hikvision cameras?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I have not noticed an increase in CPU utilization on my system. It still runs low to mid 30s when I'm not connected remotely, just like it has for ages. And I am on the latest BI 4.1.1.5 x64.

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
I have not noticed an increase in CPU utilization on my system. It still runs low to mid 30s when I'm not connected remotely, just like it has for ages. And I am on the latest BI 4.1.1.5 x64.
My meager system also is constant has constant CPU

kpaschall1

n3wb
Reaction score
So, built a new system this morning, i7-4790k CPU, 16GB ram, moved the drives over and now running at 11% with the same camera's.

atom

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Do you have Foscam or Hikvision cameras?
Mainly Hikvision, but also a no-name and a few old Compros. CPU usage has gone from low 50s to high 70s with no changes to any config/settings.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
If you are experiencing higher CPU usage after a BI update within the last few months, there is a likely cause. Most likely, you had used Blue Iris' frame rate option to reduce the frame rates of one or more h264 cameras, to save CPU time.

Since I think version 4.0.9, Blue Iris has the Adjust Automatically option permanently enabled. This would cause your reduced frame rate setting to be ignored, and explain the increase in CPU usage. If this is your situation, the solution is to go to each camera's web interface and reduce the frame rate there. Once you do this, you may find that Blue Iris CPU usage settles at a level even lower than you had in earlier versions, because the video decoder will have less work to do.

atom

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion bp2008, but I have always had the frame rate set at the full 25fps for the HikV's, and the increase in CPU usage came with a minor update after 4.0.9.