Best ANPR licence plate cam 30-50mm. Under $450

stevef22

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Im basically putting the camera on side of my home, along side a road that has a turn 100 feet away.

Cars traveling 30-45mph. Distance to license plates is 30-100 feet. At 100 feet the road turns away. At 30 feet is closest to the camera. One steet lamp pointing down about 30 feet away.

Andy Recommended this
Review: IPC-LPR237B-IR / Equivalent of Dahua ITC237-PW6M-IRLZF1050-B - ANPR, Traffic & Access Control Camera | IP Cam Talk But little expensive.

What Dahua camera and focal length do you recommend? My budget is $200-$450 for a single cam.

Thank you!

ludshed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You’re not going to be happy with any option in that price range and parameters. I just checked and the cheapest one adi sells is a speco HLPR1G for $450 but it’s analog. The cheapest IPs are in the 850 range.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
You need a manual shutter speed of 1/2000 at night, along with good IR illimination.

LPR

stevef22

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You need a manual shutter speed of 1/2000 at night, along with good IR illimination.

LPR
Thank you very much!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Keep in mind an ANPR isn't magic and you have to dial in the settings as well. The settings would still be an issue even with a true ANPR camera and won't work right of the box, so you still need to run faster shutters and dial in per the links above.

It comes down to do you want the actual camera to do the reading of the plates and logging them (an ANPR camera) or are you ok manually reading them with the camera you have OR using a 3rd party to then read the plates and log them? That is the only difference between your Z12E and an ANPR camera.

Do keep in mind that the ANPR cameras do not get plate reading updates as often as a 3rd party reader and depending on your location, that could be an issue. Many people have come here reporting an ANPR camera isn't very accurate for USA plates as an example.

Plus the ANPR logging of the plates are in a proprietary format, so you are stuck with them in that universe. Contrast that with if you used a 3rd party with your Z12E, you can do a lot more with the data.

I'd say since you have the Z12E, look at those links above and dial it in. If you are still having trouble, then post some video and pics along with screenshots of your settings.

stevef22

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Keep in mind an ANPR isn't magic and you have to dial in the settings as well. The settings would still be an issue even with a true ANPR camera and won't work right of the box, so you still need to run faster shutters and dial in per the links above.

It comes down to do you want the actual camera to do the reading of the plates and logging them (an ANPR camera) or are you ok manually reading them with the camera you have OR using a 3rd party to then read the plates and log them? That is the only difference between your Z12E and an ANPR camera.

Do keep in mind that the ANPR cameras do not get plate reading updates as often as a 3rd party reader and depending on your location, that could be an issue. Many people have come here reporting an ANPR camera isn't very accurate for USA plates as an example.

Plus the ANPR logging of the plates are in a proprietary format, so you are stuck with them in that universe. Contrast that with if you used a 3rd party with your Z12E, you can do a lot more with the data.

I'd say since you have the Z12E, look at those links above and dial it in. If you are still having trouble, then post some video and pics along with screenshots of your settings.

Thank you!

"It comes down to do you want the actual camera to do the reading of the plates and logging them (an ANPR camera) or are you ok manually reading them with the camera you have OR using a 3rd party to then read the plates and log them? That is the only difference between your Z12E and an ANPR camera."

Im just using Dahua 8CHNVR so nothing special. Not logging plates etc. Just wanted to be able to see plates during reply if anything bad happened.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Oh, well if you don't have the 5xxx series, then the ANPR camera won't help you any.

Based on your response of just wanting to be able to see plates during replay if anything bad happened, the Z12 camera you have is the perfect camera for that. Follow those links where we have posted our settings and use those as a starting point and you will get the images you want.

Do keep in mind that at night, all you will see is the plate and head or tail lights. It cannot serve as an overview camera at night.

Here is a representative sample of plates I get at night with a 1/2,000 shutter and 8 FPS of vehicles traveling about 45MPH at 175 feet from my Z12E that is on the 2nd story soffit, Camera is 35 feet above street at this location.

1663269402195.png

stevef22

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Oh, well if you don't have the 5xxx series, then the ANPR camera won't help you any.

Based on your response of just wanting to be able to see plates during replay if anything bad happened, the Z12 camera you have is the perfect camera for that. Follow those links where we have posted our settings and use those as a starting point and you will get the images you want.

Do keep in mind that at night, all you will see is the plate and head or tail lights. It cannot serve as an overview camera at night.

Here is a representative sample of plates I get at night with a 1/2,000 shutter and 8 FPS of vehicles traveling about 45MPH at 175 feet from my Z12E that is on the 2nd story soffit, Camera is 35 feet above street at this location.

View attachment 139995

Thank you very much! I will try with your settings and start expirementing.

Would you happen to know the default login for this camera? admin / admin123

I tried accessing the camera directly and get the login screen, but then no password combo works.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There is no default password - you set that up at the time of initialization.

You will need to factory reset the camera and start over if you do not remember or know the password.

stevef22

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok will perform factory reset. Then its

user: admin
pass: "leave this blank"

?

stevef22

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have the IPC HFW5231EP-Z12E model. Can someone please tell me where to find the shutter setting?

I want to make my settings like this " 1/2,000 shutter and 8 FPS "

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Shutter will be under Camera > Conditions > Exposure > Mode, set to manual, then can set shutter to 1/2000 (or whatever you want).

FPS will be under Camera > Video.

stevef22

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Shutter will be under Camera > Conditions > Exposure > Mode, set to manual, then can set shutter to 1/2000 (or whatever you want).

FPS will be under Camera > Video.
Thank you very much