Best Bang for the Buck

Wired64

n3wb
Reaction score
Folks,

Recently, I was able to help the police catch an attempted child abductor using the recording from my analog video surveillance system. Never expected that to happen in a million years, but was happy I could help!

The attempt was made on one of my neighbors, and I really wanted to be able to hand them a license plate - was not gonna happen with a consumer camera recording at D1 resolution and a 4 mm lens at 80 or so feet.

So... Time to upgrade. Want to move up to an IP camera setup with a variety of camera resolutions depending on location. One of the cameras needs to be a 5 mm likely with 4mm lens. I also would like to have IR and a low lux for the camera for night use.

The problem - I don't know exactly the resolution or focal length I need - all I know at the moment is that a 3MP doesn't quite do it as I tested a camera that I can easily return. Are there any calculators out there that will take the MP of the camera, focal length, distance and provide an expected perspective of the view? I could see a web based UI where you could set the various options and see what a license plate (at an oblique angle, because cars are rarely driving directly at a house) would look like. Obviously, compression will play into this as well, but at least someone could get an idea. Are there any tools like that?

Having said that, what's the best bang for the buck on higher res outdoor IP cameras with IR? I likely will use 3 MP for most cameras and 5 MP for a few.

Any suggestions on tools I can use to emulate what's seen, or the best bang for the buck on outdoor higher res cameras with a reasonable level if IR blasters?

Cheers,

SK

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@Wired64 Remember that 5mp will not get you that much more resolution than a 3mp camera...for example 6mp will not give you double the clarity of a 3mp camera.
There are many negatives to high MP cameras, often they have poor night and low light vision..your best best is a 3mp varifocal camera so that you can adjust the focal length to get the best image...

Last edited by a moderator:

Wired64

n3wb
Reaction score
Cyberwolf_uk - that's exactly what I was looking for! Absolutely awesome - and I'm sorry I didn't find this as I'm certain it's been posted in other threads.

THANK YOU!

Wired64

n3wb
Reaction score
Fenderman - good to know - thank you! I recognize that a 5MP doesn't give you a huge bump in resolution, but didn't realize that the 5MP camera would potentially have poorer night/low light fidelity.

Now that I have the right camera setup for my environment, I agree that an adjustable focal length camera would likely be best for at least one of the camera positions.

So, as this is narrowed down - what's the best bang for buck good quality 3mp varifocal camera that has a good IR blaster and provides decent low lux and IR assisted video?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Fenderman - good to know - thank you! I recognize that a 5MP doesn't give you a huge bump in resolution, but didn't realize that the 5MP camera would potentially have poorer night/low light fidelity.

Now that I have the right camera setup for my environment, I agree that an adjustable focal length camera would likely be best for at least one of the camera positions.

So, as this is narrowed down - what's the best bang for buck good quality 3mp varifocal camera that has a good IR blaster and provides decent low lux and IR assisted video?
I am partial to the hikvisions...dahua does have a nicely priced motorized varifocals that are easier to adjust.
LTS has a 2mp version of the hikvision 2732 that should have better nightvision than the 2732...
However keep in mind that if you want to capture plates at night you will need to dedicate a camera for this purpose..there are several threads on this subject.

Optimus Prime

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This camera calculator really put things into perspective for me. Thank you.