Best Camera HD 8mp HIK Vision

johnnysh

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello

I am the new owner of a HIKVISION DS-9632 UK NVR machine that has been a pig to get reset back to factory default, but after much messing around I now have it reset and in my full control.

I'm now in the market for some new HD 8mp camera for out doors, and totally confused and bombarded with the massive selection of HIKVISION cameras on offer.

I have a 24 channel HP 2530 Power over ethernet switch that will power the IP cameras

Can anyone please advise me with the best various HIKvision cameras to consider in the 8mp range, various options and what turret version verion to get

will consider all cameras just would like some advice for best video results

Thank you in advance

john

coney27

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If your new to this please read IP Cam Talk Cliff Notes

You dont necessarily need a 8mp camera for the best results. You could probably run with a 4mp camera and be very satisfied with it if your concerned about MP.

What application do you plan on using the camera for? Outdoors, indoors, what are you trying to capture?

johnnysh

n3wb
Reaction score
If your new to this please read IP Cam Talk Cliff Notes

You dont necessarily need a 8mp camera for the best results. You could probably run with a 4mp camera and be very satisfied with it if your concerned about MP.

What application do you plan on using the camera for? Outdoors, indoors, what are you trying to capture?
Hello

Thank you for your reply

I simply require high quality outdoor cameras for security around my property and one or two indoor maybe 10 cameras in total,

Not sure the difference between all the variants on offer other than the mega pixel

Some of the hikvisions have been discontinued so should I stay clear of them, do I need to stick with hikvision for best interfacing with the NVR DS-9632

I can support up to 32 cameras with this NVR at the moment it has two 4 gig data drives raided

Just need to choose some good camera that I will not be disappointed in, I am super critical with most things so that’s why I thought I’d choose 8mp

Regards

coney27

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Your question is too broad to get specific with camera recommendations. What are your lighting conditions, what price do you want to spend per camera, what form factor do you want? Hikvision makes hundreds of cameras but you need to be detailed as possible in order to narrow down your need.

Once again I'd read the Wiki and actually learn what you think you might need before you arbitrarily make a decision you might regret.

This is Hikvisions smart series top of the line 8mp bullet camera. 8 MP Outdoor VF Bullet Network Camera

From B&H it will cost you $669.00

Last edited:

johnnysh

n3wb
Reaction score
H
Most 8mp cams will not due well at night. Don't chase megapixels.
As others have said, study the Cliff Notes.
You need to stick to the same brand of cams as the NVR.
I assume you meant to say you have two 4TB drives raided.
4tb will not take long for 8mp to fill up.
Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-S Starlight+ | IP Cam Talk
Hi guys thanks for the feedback

Sorry for any typos it’s this silly keypad on the iPhone

Thanks for the feedback

I can add another 4 x 4 tb drives so could have 12tb total raided that’s got to be a good step

I notice that some of the 8megapix cams have compression to aid the data transmission over Ethernet

But take onboard your comments, so if the higher mega pixels cameras is not the way forward why are they on offer ? What is the purpose of them ?

Not too bothered about cost, would rather spend more and get it right the first time.
Would like the best quality out doors security cameras both day and night.

Theses are for me not a customer so I’m not cost cutting

Never knew this could be so difficult

Ok thanks for indicating I should keep the same as the the NVR

Just about to setup the Cisco network and setup VLANs for the power over Ethernet switch that will facilitate the cameras

Thanks for all your advice

Regards

Tokens

n3wb
Reaction score
Don't chase megapixels.

Chase Sensor size (bigger better) - example 1.8".
Chase Aperture example - f1.2 (lower better and need less light)
Combine those 2 variables and select the camera which has the best stats and the highest Megapixels available.

To be honest currently I would buy Dauha -> Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-S Starlight+ | IP Cam Talk as it is the best pick (value for money).