"Best" Current Recommended Cameras

singularity42

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Firstly, I checked the first 1-3 pages for similar posts so I apologize if I missed something. I know that "best this for that" posts are always such a cliche.

I am looking at upgrading my external cameras. I would like to stick with turret or dome cameras. I feel I get better results with turrets, but maybe thats changed since I last purchased cameras. Currently I have (3) DS-2CD2342WD-I 's -
I am not super concerned about price, anything at, around or below $200. I've got some ideas on what I want, but I dont know anything but Hikvision (and a Reolink RLC-422, which tbh I cant stand - issues with it not auto focusing correctly, much better for an indoor camera). When it comes to Hikvision security concerns, Im not too worried. Everything is vlan'd out, phonehome's blocks, etc, etc.

As far as use, I use my cameras outside, there are places where there is little to no light (so nightvision/IR etc is important), I can figure out mm's, etc.

That being said, can all you amazing people throw me some thoughts and suggestions for replacement cameras in the $200 or less price range?

Looking at these maybe?

Last edited:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Neither the cameras you have or the new one you linked to will have good night vision. Do not get caught in the megapixel, resolution, trap. The higher the resolution the larger the sensor needs to be to get useable video in low/no light situations. The current best case scenarios are -

2MP on a 1/2.8" or larger sensor
4MP on a 1/1.8" or larger sensor
8MP on a 1/1.2" or larger sensor

Both Dahua and Hikvision have good cameras with these combinations of resolution and sensors. I am not familiar with Hikvision but here are the models from Dahua -

2MP 3241T-ZAS varifocal with audio
4MP 5442TM-AS Fixed lens with audio
4MP 5442T-ZE varifocal with audio
8MP HFW5849T1-ASE-LED full color night video, built-in white LEDs

singularity42

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the information and suggestions. Im not super focused on megapixel and resolution, mostly because I tend to care less about video and more about individual images that are taken during alerts. Correct me if Im wrong though, but I should be able to get higher resolution images with a higher MP camera? The idea is that right now I get good images close up, but past about 60-80+ feet they begin to get a bit blurry and not high enough res to catch a license plate for example. I realize I could probably resolve this with a higher mm focal point.

I dont need audio, but varifocal would be an interesting addition (however the current ReoLink has that and it always get stuck out of focus, im sure just some blueiris setting I can change).

Its good to know the cameras I current have dont have good night vision, because Ive been using them for almost 5-7 years now and dont have many issues with nightvision on them. That just tells me the stuff that is out now is even better! I think whatever I get will be a big upgrade. I've also considered buying a separate IR cluster that turns on at night.

Thanks again, I'll take a close look at these. Really appreciate it.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
You don't yet know the difference between what you have and a correct ration of size versus resolution. If you think you're right, go right ahead and remain with what you have then. As far as Reolink is concerned they belong in the trash.

The sensor sizes versus resolution I mentioned are based on the results from literally hundreds of users here on IPCT and are not plucked out of the air. I have been the route of "good night vision" cameras with small sensors. Put some motion into that scene and it's all a blur. With those combinations the blur can be easily eliminated by adjusting exposure, gain and compensation. Reolink can't even maintain a frame rate, iframe rate or exposure setting. At least your Hikvisions can do that, albeit on sensors that are too small for the resolution they are running unless you have lots of addition visible or IR light.

Here's a review, with both day and night video, of a 4MP Dahua. Do your cameras compare to this? I seriously doubt it.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Blue Iris doesn't control focus of the camera - if you are having a problem with the focus that is within the camera. And Reolinks and BI do not work well together. If you think they do, I assure you that you have missed motion.

Unless you are going to spend outrageous amount of money for Hollywood movie size sensors, if you want to see things far away, you need optical zoom, digital zoom only works in the movies and TV...And the optical zoom is done real time - for a varifocal it is a set it and forget it. You cannot go to recorded video and optically zoom in later, at that point it is digital zoom, and the sensors on these cameras are so small which is why digital zoom doesn't work very well after the fact.

You have to first decide what is the purpose of the cameras - to IDENTIFY or to OBSERVE and at what distance. One camera cannot be the do all, see all.

It is simple LOL do not chase MP - do not buy a 4MP camera that is anything smaller than a 1/1.8" sensor. Do not buy a 2MP camera that is anything smaller than a 1/2.8" sensor. Do not buy a 4K (8MP) camera on anything smaller than a 1/1.2" sensor. Unfortunately, most 4k cams are on the same sensor as a 2MP and thus the 2MP will kick its butt all night long as the 4k will need 4 times the light than the 2MP... 4k will do very poor at night unless you have stadium quality lighting (well a lot of lighting LOL).

To identify someone with the 2.8mm lens that you probably had in the past, someone would have to be within 13 feet of the camera, but realistically within 10 feet after you dial it in to your settings.

1604638118196.png

My neighbor was bragging to me how he only needed his four 2.8mm fixed lens cams to see his entire property and the street and his whole backyard. His car was sitting in the driveway practically touching the garage door and his video quality was useless to ID the perp not even 10 feet away.

Here are my general distance recommendations, but switch out the Dahua 5442 series camera to the equivalent 2MP on the 1/2.8" sensor or equivalent Hikvision works as well.
  • 5442 fixed lens 2.8mm - anything within 10 feet of camera OR as an overview camera
  • 5442 ZE - varifocal - distances up to 40-50 feet (personally I wouldn't go past the 30 foot range but I like things closer)
  • 5442 Z4E - anything up to 80-100 feet (personally I wouldn't go past 60 feet but I like things closer)
  • 5241-Z12E - anything from 80 feet to almost 200 feet (personally I wouldn't go past 150 feet because I like things closer)
  • 5241-Z12E - for a license plate cam that you would angle up the street to get plates up to about 175 feet away, or up to 220 with additional IR.
  • 49225 PTZ - great PTZ and in conjunction with an NVR or Blue Iris and the cameras above that you can use as spotter cams to point the PTZ to the correct location to compliment the fixed cams.

You need to get the correct camera for the area trying to be covered. A 2.8mm to IDENTIFY someone 40 feet away is the wrong camera regardless of how good the camera is. A 2.8mm camera to IDENTIFY someone within 10 feet is a good choice OR it is an overview camera to see something happened but not be able to identify who.

So you will need to identify the distance the camera would be from the activities you want to IDENTIFY on and purchase the correct camera for that distance as an optical zoom.

Regarding a camera for plates (LPR) - keep in mind that this is a camera dedicated to plates and not an overview camera also. It is as much an art as it is a science. You will need two cameras. For LPR we need to zoom in tight to make the plate as large as possible. For most of us, all you see is the not much more than a vehicle in the entire frame. Now maybe in the right location during the day it might be able to see some other things, but not at night.

At night, we have to run a very fast shutter speed (1/2,000) and in B/W with IR and the image will be black. All you will see are head/tail lights and the plate. Some people can get away with color if they have enough street lights, but most of us cannot. Here is a representative sample of plates I get at night of vehicles traveling about 45MPH at 175 feet from my 2MP camera (that is all that is needed for plates):

1607010182386.png

singularity42

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you both for your detailed information and suggestions. Thank you for the sensor size vs. resolution information.

Absolutely not, do my cameras come close to that. I by no means have enough experience to say Im right or wrong about anything, thats why Im here. I can only state what I've used, what's worked and research your recommendations on currently available hardware. The main reason of my post is to reach out to people that know more than I, to take that information and make an informed decision. That being said, thank you for your replies. I really appreciate it.

Ya, the Reolink was a big mistake, just using it for now instead of throwing it out. Thanks for your write up about distances and license plates. Ive long considered having 2 cameras street side for that purpose and Ill probably go that route.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for your questions. I think Sebastiantombs camera picks are agreeable.
I like the varifocals i recently purchased, I have a 74 unit Condo to manage, on a few acres, So the parking lots need varifocals to be sharp where i'm looking. that said I inherited an old system with b&w cameras. and a PC with "eyemax" security software, a 16 channel PCI card for analog cams, 2 GB of Memory on a 500GB WD green drive. was like watching Mfn Ghosts move in and out of the Garages. Worthless. (almost)
It's been a long road to literacy in IP cam world.
I finally caught on to what was good after spending money trying save money over these ridiculously priced Dahua's, saved 40$ on a couple of PTZ's from "jidetch".
Later i found out after all is said and done, you get exactly what you pay for.
So I finally got onboard with the these products which had Forum reviews, or at least interesting conversations about their functionality.
Now I'm catching license plates, and getting solid motion detections, and a good user experience.
Loryta IPC-T2231T-ZS 2MP Starlight WDR IR Eyeball Network Camera Motorized Vari-Focal 2.7mm-13.5mm Lens English Version
Loryta Full Color 4MP Starlight WDR Eyeball AI IP Camera Fixed Lens IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED 6mm
Loryta IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E IP Camera 2MP Starlight WDR IR Bullet AI Network Camera English Version
Loryta IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED 2.8mm Fixed Lens 4MP Starlight+ WDR Eyeball AI Network Camera English Version
Loryta IPC-EW5531-AS IP Camera 5MP Panoramic Network IR Fisheye Camera Smart Detection Intelligent Function English Version

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

singularity42

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Follow up question. I see many of you recommend bullet cameras. Why do you recommend them over dome/turret?

Minnesota shout out ;)

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The bullets are needed for longer range optical zoom as the turrets do not offer the larger focal length mm.

The bullets can produce a better depth field as it has more space to configure a lens setting that a tightly crammed turret. But a lot of people cannot tell the difference between the two.

I favor turrets as they are smaller, but I have bullets for the range needed that isn't produced in a turret.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I can't speak to Hikvision. I have no experience with their IP cams. I do however have HIK OEM dvr's, that work. One is pretty good. one is a Costco Nightowl " Gotcha" system employing marketing tactics to make you buy cameras that only work with a few select Recorders. ( lernt me a lesson or two over that, with plenty of expletives).
when I learned that guys here were importing Cam streams from DVR's and NVR's into Blue iris, I want to jump on that train. Only to find out that neither one of the Nightowls, can be brought into BI, but must be viewed on a downloaded PC app like Nightowl X or Nightowl HD. the cams are super cheap. the only time you can see anything is broad daylight. But the Dahua NVR's and Dahua OEM NVR's like Amcrest, i have been able to import into BI....

Last edited:

singularity42

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks thats good to know. BI is a must. It runs everything for me, is a fine tuned machine after years of use, and Im getting into playing with AI Tensorflow integration. I also have it all hooked in to Home Assistance for triggers and what not.
It would appear people on here really lean towards Dahua, or any reseller that us using Dahua firmware. So thats probably where I go.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
There is a Hikvision colorVu that was pretty sought after about a year ago, had good reviews on here, maybe somebosy can chime in on that. Andy( Empire Tech/Loryta) reseller on this forum had some instock at one point. maybe you'd like to see the reviews on those. I don't know If I can dig them up but i'll try...

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score

singularity42

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I think I've settled on a mix of these:

1/1.2" Bullet

1/1.8" Turret

Thoughts, and where do you all buy your cameras from? Seems like its hard to find good retailers in US.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Try @EMPIRETECANDY a member here that you can purchase directly from, as well as his Amazon store.

Keep in mind that this camera does not see infrared, so if you do not have enough light at night, you cannot add external infrared because it won't see it.

So you either need enough ambient light, or have the little LED lights on all night, but they do not cast a very far reach.

It is a good camera, but it does need light, but Dahua also has a 4K out now as well that is pretty awesome.

Last edited:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The new Dahua 4K, complete with a comparison with its' Hikvision brother -

singularity42

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Keep in mind that this camera does not see infrared, so if you do not have enough light at night, you cannot add external infrared because it won't see it.
Thanks, good to know for my side yards. I think with my garage LED lights, I should have enough ambient light out front. Not to mention 8 months out of the year are covered in snow.