Best Dahua DIY Licence Plate Camera under $350 currently.

stevef22

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Im getting street shot, target is abotu 30-50 feet range away from camera. Camera is on side of road so about a 30 percent angle to cars?

There is one large street lamp pointing down about the 30 foot.

This will be a dedicated lic cam.

Please let me know your suggestions. Andy suggested

Thank you

Notes:

I read this. Is there an updated model?
(5) LPR with a pair of IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E | IP Cam Talk

This model great, but huge housing and expensive for me.
Review: IPC-LPR237B-IR / Equivalent of Dahua ITC237-PW6M-IRLZF1050-B - ANPR, Traffic & Access Control Camera | IP Cam Talk

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You have the two best models listed. Are you using a NVR or Blue Iris?
The 5241 is what I have, works great for me anywhere from 80-120 feet. I do have to manually look up the plate timestamps, and find the info manually on the web if I need to.

Otherwise you run into the, around $500, LPR2378.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Keep in mind an ANPR isn't magic and you have to dial in the settings as well. The settings would still be an issue even with a true ANPR camera and won't work right of the box, so you still need to run faster shutters and dial in per the LPR section above.

It comes down to do you want the actual camera to do the reading of the plates and logging them (an ANPR camera) or are you ok manually reading them with the camera you have OR using a 3rd party to then read the plates and log them? That is the only difference between your Z12E and an ANPR camera.

Do keep in mind that the ANPR cameras do not get plate reading updates as often as a 3rd party reader and depending on your location, that could be an issue. Many people have come here reporting an ANPR camera isn't very accurate for USA plates as an example.

Plus the ANPR logging of the plates are in a proprietary format, so you are stuck with them in that universe. Contrast that with if you used a 3rd party with a Z12E, you can do a lot more with the data.

But yes the 5241-Z12E is still considered the workhorse and there is not a newer model.

stevef22

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I already have a HFW5231EP-Z12E is about 2.5 yrs old. Its was in direct sun on another project. Front plastic very yellow, worse than in picture. Gives a halo effect on video. Just walked out of the pool look to video.

Should I just upgrade this front glass? Thinking of getting a piece of glass cut at local frame shop. And putting it in with silicone.

Attached are photos of my NVR. Its just a basic 4 port. Im not actively saving images of the lic plates. Just want to roll back the video if anything happens

Thanks for all your input and help!

CAM11.jpgCAM1.jpgNVR4108-8p-4ks2_POE-NVR2.jpgNVR4108-8p-4ks2_POE-NVR.jpg

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
the 5241 seems to me like it "sees" differently/better...whatever, than the 5231....Maybe its the Web GUi thats a bit more featureful? i don't know....
I have 2 used 5231's in a box here.....
bought from member here, for like $120 or $130 a piece last year. Still have yet to permenantly mount them....
Is there really no difference in the hardware on these two?
or is just wishful thinking on my part?

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have the 5231 and 5241 Z12E varieties - myself along with others that have had both say that the 5231 is superior at night than the 5241. The chipsets are different.

Many here have replaced the glass of the 5231. Much cheaper and a better option.

After getting nice crisp black images like this for 3 years from the 5231:

1665103002693.png

And then you get this fish gill look in red and comet trail in yellow, it is clear the chip/sensor isn't as good in the 5241 as it was in the the previous model 5231.

1665103040495.png

I mean the plates are still legible, but it just isn't as crisp.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks, Now I feel like I have 2 really valuable pieces of equipment here, that should go into operation....somewhere.

Last edited: