Best IP Cam for Capturing Nighttime Critters

Cor K Dikland

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have quite a bit of "wildlife" activity (owls, raccoons, fox, etc) in my backyard during the nighttime and am looking for a reliable IP camera to capture some of these events. I have BlueIris V5 running on my PC with a variety of cameras and it serves my other purposes (driveway, front yard security) fine. The problem I am having in the back is the BI + Reolink RLC-811a combination. Too unreliable and horrible stuttering. I need a better solution. Any input?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
For many it is the 5442 camera with older firmware.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
A big part of the answer is how BI's motion detection stacks up against the Dahua line crossing and intrusion IVS functions. If BI is just as good, the answer is pretty easy: Use any camera you want to and ignore its built-in detection functions. If line crossing and intrusion beat what BI can do, then it becomes a tradeoff between good detection with lower quality images vs. reduced detection with higher quality images. I think it would take a long term test comparing the two approaches simultaneously. Wish I had the answer, but I only have the question.

One approach I've thought of is two side-by-side cameras, one low-end for the IVS triggers, and another high-end to get a good image. For me that would mean going from 16 to 32 cameras just before being evicted by my wife. But for one camera location it might be a reasonable solution.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
One approach I've thought of is two side-by-side cameras, one low-end for the IVS triggers, and another high-end to get a good image. For me that would mean going from 16 to 32 cameras just before being evicted by my wife. But for one camera location it might be a reasonable solution.
That's what I do now along with an external PIR motion sensor. Both trigger my better rear cams as a group in BI. IVS filters are turned on in the better cams (don't have a choice as you know) to cut down falses and I rely on the group trigger to capture wildlife. Works pretty well but a long way around and not practical unless you have other home automation stuff in place otherwise. Probably could shortcut that using one of the Shelly motion sensors since BI will talk to it more directly but I haven't tried that.

Code Project should do that for you but I've gone down that rabbit hole.