Best Nightime BI Image Settings?

715OP_TLS

n3wb
Reaction score
I've got my BlueIris setup working pretty well but would like to improve the image quality of my night time profile (for after dark). I've seen some images on IpCamTalk that look great and heard a few people mention they fine tuned their night time settings for the best low light image quality but can't seem to find those posts using the search function.Without adding additional lighting (IR or visible) what settings can I adjust in BlueIris to get the best night time image quality?

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
BI records whatever quality of image the camera sends it.

I think that if you're going to do any image tuning, it would be done directly on the cameras.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Correct, and a lot of us just leave our cams on auto because that will do better than manual settings most of the time...

Adding infrared illuminators is usually a good idea.

715OP_TLS

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys, I've been looking into getting some standalone IR Illuminators and I think that is the route I'll go.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys, I've been looking into getting some standalone IR Illuminators and I think that is the route I'll go.
If you don't get satisfactory results with that, check out the Dahua Starlight model cameras (or the Hikivision Ultra Low-lights). They contain the larger Sony Starvis image sensor, which captures more light. Their image quality in low-light situations is pretty awesome.

Matt L.

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Correct, and a lot of us just leave our cams on auto because that will do better than manual settings most of the time...

Adding infrared illuminators is usually a good idea.
My EasyN's are PoS. They have strong IR, but severley vinettned to a factor of about 12db. The night image looks like a globe. IR illuminators can be pricey sadly.

handinpalm

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My EasyN's are PoS. They have strong IR, but severley vinettned to a factor of about 12db. The night image looks like a globe. IR illuminators can be pricey sadly.
External IR illuminators are dirt cheap. I have 2 of these in use in my mission critical areas for about 6 months now. They went through Hurricnae Irma with 80 mph winds and rain and still work flawless. One of them is completely uncovered and exposed. You can find cheap wall wart power supplies for them on Ebay also. I have tried different illuminators with 6 LEDs, but they are too bright.

JC 4pcs High Power LED IR Array Illuminator IR Lamp Wide Angle for Night Visi... | eBay

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Matt L.

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Night mode on my BI machine and displays utilizes "negativescreen". You set your own 5x5 color matrices. My display is more-or-less red so to reduce wakefullness - inducing blues.