Best outdoor cam for low light.

toeffer

n3wb
Reaction score
I am looking to install some outdoor POE cams, there are a lot of options out there so I was hoping someone could guide me in the right direction.

I need something that is good at night, and a good zoom would be a plus. My friend recommends the hikvision bullet cams for around 100$ a piece, but Im hesitant since they are only 3mp.

What are my best choices for around that pricepoint?

Thanks!

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
They are only 3MP - chuckle -

Huisun is only 2MP. Your iPhone is 8MP. Have a guess which one has the worst quality.

+1 for Huisun on this, fugly but meets requirements. But for this price you are getting 1.3MP.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
yeah for $100 you will get 4x zoom with 1.3MP, most go with 2MP with 10x zoom which is $50+

toeffer

n3wb
Reaction score
They are only 3MP - chuckle -

Huisun is only 2MP. Your iPhone is 8MP. Have a guess which one has the worst quality.

+1 for Huisun on this, fugly but meets requirements. But for this price you are getting 1.3MP.
Why chuckle at the 3mp? Isn't that important when you start getting into a digital zoom?

- - - Updated - - -

yeah for $100 you will get 4x zoom with 1.3MP, most go with 2MP with 10x zoom which is $50+
What specific model do you suggest?

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Why chuckle at the 3mp? Isn't that important when you start getting into a digital zoom?
Digital zoom. That does completely change things. And the increase from 3MP to 4MP isn't huge.

You have 2 options. 4MP camera, where most here will recommend Hikvision or Dahua.

1.3MP/2MP camera with a real zoom (not digital zoom). That's the Huisun.

Check out the other threads for information. There's plenty of info on here.

toeffer

n3wb
Reaction score
Digital zoom. That does completely change things. And the increase from 3MP to 4MP isn't huge.

You have 2 options. 4MP camera, where most here will recommend Hikvision or Dahua.

1.3MP/2MP camera with a real zoom (not digital zoom). That's the Huisun.

Check out the other threads for information. There's plenty of info on here.
So I should be happy with these?

http://www.amazon.com/Hikvision-DS-2CD2032F-I-weather-Security-Network/dp/B015TDBBIM/ref=sr_1_8?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1452626162&sr=8-8&keywords=hikvision+4mp

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
1) I wouldn't buy off of amazon for Hikvision.
2) That is 3MP despite you searching for 4MP

You'd be happier with DS-2CD2342WD-I I think. But DS-2CD2032-I is a little great camera, I still use them.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Keep in mind that night vision is not great in those Hiks, but it depends what you are trying to accomplish. If you want to cover small area, like a porch then it will be fine, but for a driveway or backyard cam it's no good without some additional light source.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Some additional light source - in the UK then unless you are miles away from your street lights you will be fine. I can see how the US in more rural areas this would be an issue.

Get a Huisun and klasipca will be happy. Tbh, I'd get a Huisun for what you want. It's not a bad idea.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Some additional light source - in the UK then unless you are miles away from your street lights you will be fine. I can see how the US in more rural areas this would be an issue.

Get a Huisun and klasipca will be happy. Tbh, I'd get a Huisun for what you want. It's not a bad idea.
Do you have street lights in the backyard? For driveway I have flood light and street light and I prefer Longse for a driveway cam, but lets just look at the comparison with Hik 4MP:

Hikvision 2CD2142FWD-IWS 4MP

Hikvision 2CD2142FWD-IWS 4MP (with Flood light)

Longse s500 5MP

Longse s500 5MP (with Flood Light)

hook3m

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Take a look at Hik turret cams. They have much better night vision than bullets. Stay off Amazon for Hik cams.

Just FYI. LTS is OEM Hikvision.

Last edited by a moderator:

toeffer

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a street light directly in front of my house. So that will be where once cam is, the other will be in an unlit backyard, which im not as worried about the zoom on. Where should I look into getting cameras from if not on Amazon? I found a seller that has great reviews and everyone says they received a US version of the cam.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I don't have a backyard because I'm British :D

OP is not going to get a Longse via Alibaba is he? Perspective klasipca. OP, get yourself one of these is only $900 over your budget but is 6MP and has great night-vision.

Good comparison piccies though, so thank you for that.

toeffer, ask milkisbad or Nellys (they have a subforum on here), they will be able to give you local support. The way amazon works doesn't guarantee a camera will come from the same seller, they group stock.

hook3m

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have a street light directly in front of my house. So that will be where once cam is, the other will be in an unlit backyard, which im not as worried about the zoom on. Where should I look into getting cameras from if not on Amazon? I found a seller that has great reviews and everyone says they received a US version of the cam.
Look at this thread:
https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/257-Good-source-to-buy-IP-items-at

A lot of people on this site order from either LTS via Milkisbad or http://www.nellyssecurity.com They both sell OEM Hikvision with warranty and technical assistance.

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It is important if you're really trying to do "digital zoom"...but the Huisun models listed with 4X and 10X zoom, those are "optical zoom"...That means the actual lens zooms in on the item putting the full megapixels of the sensor onto that close-up spot....Digital zoom is basically cropping out a section of the image and resizing it. A 2mp cam with 10X optical zoom is going to look way better than a 6mp cam with digital zoom.

spixel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Take a look at Hik turret cams. They have much better night vision than bullets. Stay off Amazon for Hik cams.

Just FYI. LTS is OEM Hikvision.
That video is absolute nonsense. One is made look way better than it actually is and the other is made look way worse.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That video is absolute nonsense. One is made look way better than it actually is and the other is made look way worse.
Have to agree that this is typical LTS marketing and the difference is no where near what they are saying. EXIR still has a centre hotspot but this has been massively exaggerated.
@wxman +1, what I wanted to say but forgot what the words for optical zoom was!

Last edited by a moderator:

toeffer

n3wb
Reaction score
Are LCS cameras what I should be looking at then, or are those the same as hikvision?