Best place for motion detection

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Finally getting some hands-on time with BI and seven IPC-5442's. The inspiration is a neighbor and their poor life choices. At this point it's resulted in a no trespass order and a court date for destruction of property.

Where is the best place to start dialing in motion detection? BI has settings for it, so do the cameras. The camera has motion, smart motion, and IVS not to mention the several options on the BI side.

I expect that each camera, and what it sees is going to influence how the respective motion settings would get dialed in. The environment is around the yard: porch, side yard, driveway, back door, etc. The busiest footage is the porch as the road and sidewalk have a fair amount of traffic.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Many of us have found the IVS and AI in these Dahua cameras are pretty good. DeepStack is getting there and some of the AI tools that are not part of BI integration are able to pull it off better than the DeepStack integrated with BI for the moment, but every update BI is improving it.

Obviously field of view dependent, but in my location and testing, the camera AI never failed me. I ran a clone for about 6 months to compare the camera AI versus BI motion detection and I never got a false trigger on the AI, but did with motion detection. See this thread and a few examples I showed where DeepStack and BI motion missed it but the camera AI triggerd. A blizzard and a camera forced in color that is almost a black image until the floodlights kick on are two great examples.

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The 5442s have pretty good built in AI. You can set them up to trigger on people, vehicles, or any motion. You can also limit the areas they cover with motion detection. Given your situation, I would set up AI (IVS) in the cameras for people motion on your property. If you want to see if the neighbors are on the sidewalk, you may want it to trip there too. You also need to set up the cameras for best quality images, @wittaj has had some good posts on setting them up for great night time images if you need help there. Each camera will likely require different settings.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
If you use the cameras for detection shut of motion detection in the camera and set the profile to IVS then use intrusion boxes or trip wires.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks all for the information so far.. itching to get back on-site and start tuning the cameras.

For best results, be sure to perform this also.
IVS/Global Setup - Dahua Wiki
Curious... in the wiki, they describe the calibration process twice. Should it be performed twice? Or is the second iteration merely showing an optional 2nd method with the camera view full screen via the second monitor. Seems to me, having the larger view will result in a more accurate calibration.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
So I performed the IVS calibration under global settings for the porch camera, then followed the guide @wittaj outlined in another thread (seen below). I was sure to draw the intrusion box not as large as the full-frame to allow the camera the opportunity to see something in the image before it enters the intrusion box.

Once I've implemented the IVS changes, should I expect to see the red lightning bolt in the cameras header bar, as well as alerts listed for any motion seen by the camera in BI?

How to use the AI in the camera instead of BI motion detection:

Go to Smart Plan and select IVS and hit save.

Then go to IVS and add an IVS rule. Use Intrusion and select the appears and crosses boxes. Draw a box/outline around the area you want it to trigger for, but try not to do the full frame to give the camera time to recognize the object. Then check the box for human and/or vehicle. There is no sensitivity settings in this setup.

Leave min size to 0,0 and do not do any other changes and hit save.

Make sure both motion detection and Smart Motion Detection are not checked in the camera.

Then in BI you need to set it up in two places. In the motion tab, select the camera's digital input or motion alarm.

Uncheck the BI Motion Sensor.

Then go back to the setup screen where you key in the camera IP address and user and password and down in the lower left (or up a little depending on the version you are running), will be the checkbox for pull ONVIF triggers.

I ran a clone camera for awhile using BI motion to compare it to the ONVIF triggers to confirm I wasn't missing anything. Now for those cams I just use ONVIF triggers.

Having the camera do motion detection instead of BI does free up CPU as motion detection is one of the larger CPU drains.

I repeat, do not have Motion Detection and Smart Motion Detection turned on in the camera.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That would be correct. Time to go test it!

One thing many of us have found though in newer BI updates is that you may need to also select the external trigger as well.

So if the camera is triggering in the camera GUI but not in BI, then check the external box.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
That would be correct. Time to go test it!

One thing many of us have found though in newer BI updates is that you may need to also select the external trigger as well.

So if the camera is triggering in the camera GUI but not in BI, then check the external box.
Been testing, and did not see any alerts or lightning bolts in BI.. hence the questions. I did try it with camera's digital input or motion alarm checked and unchecked

As far as seeing a trigger in the cam GUI, will it be visible in the "live" view?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, it should show up top right - I think it is an alarm lightbulb looking thing, but the best thing to do is to turn on the IVS rules during live view (icon bottom left corner) and then when someone or a car walks by, the object and IVS rule will turn red when it triggers.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Also make sure in the Alerts tab that it is set to fire when triggered and that the ONVIF and external is checked.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Maybe run find and inspect again just to make sure BI sees the ONVIF information.
Added to my notes for the next site visit. I will triple check all the setting for one last test looking for signs of motion detection, then 'find and inspect' to see if the results are different.

I confess when I added cams to BI, I simply used the drop-down menu and choose Dahua versus the 'find & inspect' feature. I surmise this is not as reliable, or is it the re-branded dahua factor that choosing the manufacturer is not as effective? These are 5442 cameras from Andy.

Will know more next week

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The rebranded has nothing to do with it.

Most of us have found that the find/inspect is a much better way to ensure that BI gets the correct settings. Occasionally it is wrong, but not often. Most of mine come in as generic.

The camera pull-downs probably served a purpose once upon a time, but there are way too many cameras out there that work for BI that they could never add them all to the dropdown.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
To be thorough, I Implemented IVS on the camera again and shut off motion detect in BI. Using the camera GUI, I could see the camera detecting motion, but BI did not record.

Had BI find/inspect the camera.. BI changed setting from dahua to generic onvif, then I ensured the substream was set. Walked around in the camera'a view and BI successfully received the camera trigger and recorded footage.

Thanks for the assist!