Best PoE Splitter to power a PTZ camera?

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I have a DH-SD1A404XB-GNR-W PTZ that does not support PoE power. Instead, I have to use a PoE splitter to power the camera. I have a couple of different PoE splitters that I have tried and they power the camera, but it resets because it loses power. I've tried different cables and PoE ports from my switch, so I'm pretty confident that it's the splitter. Testing the camera using a power adapter works 100% with no resets. I need a recommendation as to what is the best PoE splitter for my use case. It's been 3 years since I purchased the ones I have. Thanks

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a DH-SD1A404XB-GNR-W PTZ that does not support PoE power. Instead, I have to use a PoE splitter to power the camera. I have a couple of different PoE splitters that I have tried and they power the camera, but it resets because it loses power. I've tried different cables and PoE ports from my switch, so I'm pretty confident that it's the splitter. Testing the camera using a power adapter works 100% with no resets. I need a recommendation as to what is the best PoE splitter for my use case. It's been 3 years since I purchased the ones I have. Thanks
I have the same cam but it supports POE. It's not a high-wattage PTZ but do you know how many watts it requires? Some POE splitters go as high as 24w (2 amps). You should be able to get away with an 18w splitter, though.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I have the same cam but it supports POE. It's not a high-wattage PTZ but do you know how many watts it requires? Some POE splitters go as high as 24w (2 amps). You should be able to get away with an 18w splitter, though.
It supports PoE? Andy told me it didn't. I'm really confused.

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This one has a 2 Amp output (your cam's specs say DC12V/1.5A±15%) and is highly rated ==>> Gigabit PoE Splitter 12V 2A Output with IEEE 802.3af/at Standard Compliant 10,100,1000Mbps Power Over Ethernet Splitter Adapter for Security Camera CCTV Surveillance 5.5x2.1mm DC Plug Cable(PS5712TG)

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
FWIW, he said in his OP that he'd "tried different cables and PoE ports" but maybe the switch's total power budget being exceeded is at issue.
I'm running a Unifi 24-port 250 w switch. There's plenty of budget remaining, I have to believe it's the camera. I have 13 other cameras in the switch. And to update my first post, the camera is resetting when plugged into the power adapter as well. Just discovered this while further testing everything.

1688753733263.png

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
That may not be able to pass POE+ needs?
This camera shouldn't require POE+. I know mine doesn't. I have it on the same port as a 2431 variant and the signal being divided by a POE multiplexer. Never goes down.

Unless the wifi version requires more juice. But I'd think he has the wifi disabled if he's hooked it up to a POE switch.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am not talking about your switch, I am talking about the splitter. A cheap one may for some reason not pass higher wattage? Or some of these only allow one to be used at a time and actually isn't a splitter that can power and send data to both at same time.