Best practice - adding camera memory card

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Thought I had seen comments regarding this in the past. Searching IPCT for 'memory cards' yields a pretty big haystack.

Is there any best practice(s) when it comes time to adding a memory card to a camera?

My scenario:
Brand new 5442, goal is to start off with the cam stand alone, mem card storage only. Eventually it will connect to BI when I get the PC and other cams built out/prepped.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Add it is as soon as you get the camera LOL.

Serves as redundancy and backup if you are using a VMS system, and with the card you can playback events with the IVS rules on to see why or why not the camera triggered.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thought I had seen comments regarding this in the past. Searching IPCT for 'memory cards' yields a pretty big haystack.

Is there any best practice(s) when it comes time to adding a memory card to a camera?

My scenario:
Brand new 5442, goal is to start off with the cam stand alone, mem card storage only. Eventually it will connect to BI when I get the PC and other cams built out/prepped.
Buy a good card, and watch out for fakes.
I've had very good luck with Samsung Evo Plus cards. I wouldn't purchase anything smaller than a 128gb.
After you insert the card, format the card from the cameras setup GUI.

Last edited:

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for the input everyone. I ended up performing the initial (bench) config to the camera before installing the memory card. Research here on IPCT led me to purchasing a SanDisk 256GB High Endurance UHS-I microSDXC Memory Card. The 5442 will not accept anything above 256GB.
The camera recognized and started using the card right out of the package, briefly reviewed some footage before formatting it via the camera GUI. For those new to having memory cards in your cameras, take note: The 'private file system' used by the camera's formatting will require the user download Diskmanager from Toolbox to read the SD card when it is not in the camera

Edit: purchased the memory card from B&H Photo to maximize the opportunity of receiving genuine product.

Last edited:

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
I would appreciate if you could follow up with the group once the system has been up and running for an extended period of time. I’m more interested to learn if you experience any memory failures.

Whether that be data corruption, to the card just failing.

There are hundreds of threads where people have noted different models of Dahua cameras just seem to kill Micro SD cards.

It’s safe to state in a large percentage they failed because the wrong medium was used. Regardless, there are enough forum threads (hundreds) where the person was indeed using the correct media or so called high endurance / Industrial memory cards.

Yet they too failed in the Dahua cameras?!?

From past experience it came down to shitty firmware used in the Dahua cameras!

I haven’t seen or experienced any memory card failures since using the latest generation of memory whether it be the latest (3D NAND) in SLC, MLC, TLC.

Surprisingly, very few people in the video security industry are using SanDisk vs other market leaders or worse 3rd tier garbage from AliExpress?!?